Wednesday, September 4, 2013

What's happening?

Hi everyone.
Did you think I forgot you? I didn't. Things here (and by here I mean in my life) have been rather hectic in the last 3 weeks. So. I will blog most of the events from the last 3 weeks, but this one sort of explains the lack of posting and puts the other ones in context.

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that the last 2 weeks of July and first 2 weeks of August were "intensive course" for my school. Well on the last day (Friday) of the semester, my boss called me into the back room to talk after my class at around 3. The following week we had vacation Monday - Wednesday, so I assumed he was going to tell me about the schedule for Thursday's classes. I was mistaken.

Without going into all the details - mainly because I told him that I wouldn't smear his name etc. and because I'm over explaining it - he told me that he was changing the format of the school and that they didn't need a foreign teacher anymore and so today was my last day. He had bought me a plane ticket for the 30th, I had to be out of my apartment by the 22nd and we would meet later next week to talk about bills etc.

I was in shock at that point, went home, met with a friend, cried a little, called the Labor Board and went back to school where I had a 2ish hour long "conversation" with my boss about getting some form of compensation and other details. It didn't start off well, but it ended alright and we've been able to remain civil and professional. Although I still can't say I'm happy about the way everything happened.

After the first day, I basically let go of the anger but was just sad. I was not ready to leave Korea - I still have things on my bucket list and I had plans already in place through early November. I was also not ready to leave the people. I knew some would go before me (like Ilani who left last weekend and Cindy who left a few days before I did) but I should have had more time with most of them - my IEC family, Krista & Kyeong He, lots of other people and Dallas.

So I've been home for 3 days now. Trying to adjust back into life in the US (which isn't that hard to do) and looking for a job (which is that hard to do). I've joined a gym and finished reading a book. I've done a handful of applications and watched Jeopardy. I still haven't had a diet coke.

Like I said, I will update with posts from my last few Korean adventures. I will probably randomly update this with things going on here too, but I'm not totally sure about that at this point. We'll see. So for now, if any of you know of a job opening, or want to hire me or give me a car or a diet coke, please email me or post a comment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment