Friday, March 9, 2012

Norebang - Korean singing rooms

Singing is big in Korea. Karaoke is Japanese, so that does NOT happen here. Instead they have norebangs - literally "singing rooms". It's basically your own private room, that usually has a couch, a table (so you can order food and/or drinks), a tambourine or 2, mikes and a video screen.
Dan, Liezle and Anna at my first norebang place
 It's takes the beauty of singing karaoke but without the fear/awkwardness of singing in front of strangers. Needless to say, I love me some norebang. Oddly, I went through almost my entire Korean experience without going to one. I knew I would make it eventually because of my PopJunko birthday vow, but I ended up going twice before that and the a few times afterwards as well.
Disco balls and/or strobe lights are a big part of norebanging

The first time I went, I ended up going twice in one week. The key is to go with good people and have a decent number of people. Too many and you either listen to crap songs or don't get enough time to sing; too few and your voice goes out or you have to pay a lot. Another key is to pick good songs that you know the words to and that are fast unless so cheesy that it's awesome (for example "A whole new world" from Aladdin is acceptable). The second key is essential to karaoke too and many articles have been written about how to chose the perfect song. (Google it)
Hein singing Toto's "Africa"
John and Hein singing "Sex Bomb" I think
 My go to songs are usually 80s-90s hits. "Like a prayer" kills it, as does a good Wham or ABBA song (Mamma Mia is a surprisingly good one). I also like some oldies songs and often sing "Obla-di, obla-da" or other Beatles and/or Beach Boys hits. 
Mike and Liezle duet on "Hotel California" This is one of those songs you think is awesome for singing, but it's not. Much slower than you think and looooong. But they sang it well.
Most places make you order food - Darragh, Cindy, Mike and Jon appreciate that.
 My favorite songs to sing however, are duets. One of my friends, John, loves to norebang and we have discovered that "California Dreamin'" is right in our wheelhouse. I sing the main parts and he does the back up. We have also tried the aforementioned "A whole new world" but the video doesn't separate the vocals (we don't always know who should sing what) and as I've been sick since I started going, my high notes are a little sketch (although I can hit the "you remain" on Seal's "kiss from a rose"...and did you know that it's "I've been kissed by a rose from the gray"? I always thought it was "grave").
PopJunko swirl room on Liezle's last bowling night
NYC skyline on a lamp at PopJunko
Mike belting out something...maybe "Brown Eyed Girl"?
So, add norebang to the list of things I will miss when I leave Korea. I will have to find one at home...or sing alone in my house on the Wii.

No comments:

Post a Comment