Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Return to Song Jeong and Cindy's last trip to Jinju

On Thursday the 15th Korea has a national holiday. Not sure which one, but I think it's basically the equivalent of Labor day. That Wednesday evening, Cindy and her boyfriend Torin bused in from Daegu. Cindy was going back to the US on the 26th, so this was her last trip to Jinju and the last time I would see her.


We made plans to have dinner at a horse meat restaurant near GNU because our friend Cody was coming with us and he said it's really good. Plus I wanted to try something new. She ended up getting to Jinju earlier than expected and I got on a long bus over to GNU, then got lost, so I didn't get to the place until after they had almost finished eating the horse. Luckily they saved a piece for me so I got to try it - it tasted very similar to beef, so I'd try it again. They had also ordered duck, so I shared some of that with them and we took a farewell shot of soju.

After eating, we decided to do some pre-bar drinking. Lots of Koreans go to convenience stores, buy beer or soju, then sit at plastic picnic tables in front of the store and drink. We decided to emulate Koreans. They have these non-alcoholic drinks in a bag like blue lemonade, peach tea and blueberry. These bags come with a plastic cup of ice. naturally, we buy those, a bottle of soju and tada - drinks! Cody, Cindy, Torin and I sat out front of the CU talking and drinking for maybe an hour. Torin loves sunflower seeds and had just bought a huge bag of them. The funny part was that he kept them in what looked like a makeup pouch and carried it around with him. We had a whole discussion on the proper way to eat them and the best flavors etc. Then Dallas came a joined us and then Kylie and some of her friends ran into us and joined the group too. We stayed for maybe another hour, then moved to Urban Drink.
Sitting in the lovely lighting outside of a CU
At Urban, we chatted for a little while, then decided to play some games. I think we played Never Have I Ever first and I can't remember if it was Dallas or Cody who lost. Then we played a game where you say an actor/actress/character/famous person's name and the next person has to say another person whose first name starts with the first letter of the previous person's last night. For example, person one says "Angelina Jolie" then person two can say "Jason Bateman". We played a version where we started with this specific baseball player's name (but I can't remember it - I know it started with an "h") and if you went around and ended with him, you got to give someone a shot. I won but I split the shot with Dallas because I sort of made him lose. At that point everyone was tired, so we decided to go home. Dallas and I were going to the beach the next day and invited Cindy and Torin, but they decided to stay in Jinju and just relax. So I said goodbye to both of them. It was sad seeing Cindy off, but we'll stay in touch I hope.
Us at Urban
Torin could never get a good picture for some reason.
The next morning Dallas and I met up just after 10 to get a bus to Namhae. We were both pretty tired, but I don't think either of us had hangovers. Dallas ate a salad and we split a bagel and waters on the bus. The driver was pretty speedy and both of us got headaches. We made the transfer to the next bus without too much of a hassle except that I had to pee and there was no toilet paper in the bathrooms and I forgot to put some in my backpack. I decided to hold it. We often take a picture or 2 on the bus ride to places, but for some reason we took like 2 dozen this day.

Making some sort of weird gangster sign?
I had to scratch my head and he took the picture and really liked it.
Once we got to the beach we did our typical routine of umbrella, mat and tubes. Then Dallas went to change and I started putting on sunscreen - after the obligatory toes in the sand picture. We stayed in the water for a long time, but there weren't as many waves a last time, so it wasn't quite as fun. It was also more crowded in the water itself this time. 
Flower toes and blue water
Contemplative
We got out of the water around 1ish and ate pb&js for lunch, then walked for a bit. Then we resunscreened and went back in the water. This time a bunch of redish-brown algae was there in full force and while everyone tried to avoid it, you often got stuck in the middle of it. It didn't feel too weird, but it had a strong fishy smell to it. We swam around and chilled for a little while, then Dallas went back up to the umbrella and left his tube and brought back his phone with a waterproof pouch. We had been meaning to do this for a long time and finally bought another pouch because we kept forgetting the one we had already. He came back and we did "Ariel" shots - the ones where you put your head in the water and flip your hair back to make a water arc. We took quite a few and while none of them are going to be how-to's, they weren't awful. We do need to work on making nice faces instead of looking like we're drowning though.
Ignore the weird bathsuit/sports bra combo - the only one I had doesn't fit. The hair looks good though. Which is amazing considering I don't have hair.
Half a heart. If his face looked better, this could have been really good.
D might get mad at me for posting this one - I think it looks like a Cool Water cologne ad.
Then Dallas had me jump on tubes and laughed at me the whole time. There are multiple shots of this too, but I am still not self-confident enough to put some of those online. So you get this one.
Jump...and fall.
Relaxing in the water.
After the Ariel shots and tube jumping, we decided to call it a day, even though it was early afternoon. Dallas had a bit of a headache and was hungry and just wanted to be out of the sun. We showered at the public restroom again, but this time there were hardly any people. I did have a whole wall of showers to myself, but then 2 sisters - probably middle school age - came in and took the shower directly next to me, because of course. I got dressed and met Dallas downstairs. One problem was that I forgot a belt and my shorts kept falling off of me. It was not fun.


We stopped off at a store and got some drinks and checked where to get the bus. The man told us right across the street, so we sat for a few minutes, then he came back and told us it was up the hill (like last time). So we walked up the hill but decided to stand at a different spot this time. We misjudged where to be exactly and ended up running for the bus when it stopped a little earlier than where we were. The driver waited for us and was nice though.

While we were waiting for the bus and when we first got on, we played 20 questions but it had to be a Disney character. I won both rounds because I guessed his (Raja) and he didn't guess mine (Sleepy). We also played the actor game from the night before and Dallas won that one. When we got back to Jinju, we went to my apartment and I changed pants to ones that sort of fit. We left our bags and went to dinner - I think we had solangtang but I can't remember. Then we got take-out coffees and walked around downtown for a little while. Then we went into the arcade under/next to Lotte cinema. We played some shooter games - I got higher scores but died more often, air hockey and then Super Smash Brothers - which I am awful at. Then we sort of played pool but had to stop because it was closing. It was fun and it sucks that we just figured out that it was there - at least the basement level part. As always it was a fun day with Dallas. It sucked that I had to go to school the next day...and the next day of school sucked harder, but at least we had one more good beach day before the summer ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment