Monday, February 21, 2011

Weekend in Daegu - Part 1

Jeff and I tried to meet up last weekend, but he called an audible and we switched it to this weekend. We decided to stick with the original plan of meeting up in Daegu. Jeff drove and I took a bus to Dongdaegu station where we met up. I got my bus ticket with no problem, but thought the trip was off to a bad start when I started to get car sick (can't read on the bus - not even the nook). It didn't help matters when the two ladies across the aisle broke out their hard boiled eggs and tomato juice for snack. Luckily I fell asleep for awhile and everything ended up fine. Jeff and I met in the upper part of the train station and counted no less than 5 coffee places in a 100 yard span. We got in his car and set off for Camp Henry or Camp Walker.

Sweet 1999 Galloper
 
Face in Daegu
Jeff had been to the camps before, but he took a helicopter the previous time. So we ended up driving around Daegu for about 2 hours trying to find the camps. I was told to look for checkerboard water towers - like UTs endzones. After driving around for awhile and getting nowhere, we saw the Daegu tower - it's a 202m space needle-like structure with a resturant and observation platform and optional bungee jumping. It was one of the things I wanted to see in Daegu. So we drove to Duryu Park and up to the tower. The base of the tower is already pretty high and has views that overlook the city. When we crossed the street, Jeff saw the water towers (there are 4 in all). I was already getting vertigo from just standing at the base of the tower so we decided not to pay $4 each to go up another 77 floors.
Daegu Tower

View of Daegu from tower parking lot
We hopped back in the car and drove south and eventually came upon Camp Walker. I had to get out of the car and stand by the front gate while Jeff drove in. Then I wasn't allowed on the base because I didn't have my passport or alien card (see previous post). I didn't take a picture of the camp because I was nervous about taking pictures and getting yelled at. Jeff went to get gas while I walked down the street.
Dress shop near Camp Walker
He picked me up on the side of the road and we found a "beef and leaf" place for lunch. Jeff called it that because you cook your beef (or usually pork) and then roll it up in a lettuce leaf to eat it. We were both hungry so we split pork shoulder, steamed egg (which is kind of like a scallion quiche with no crust. And I was informed that Jeff would probably love quiche but it's too uppity so he won't eat it) and black bean soup (with nicely seasoned tofu). They always give you a bunch of other sides too - we had pickles, pickled raddishes (I like them, Jeff doesn't), bean sprouts, kimchi, spinach, hunks of garlic, this awesome bean paste stuff and onions and peppers in a sauce and sticky rice.
Lunch Menu
Lunch
Steamed Egg (don't know why it won't let me rotate it)
Resturant sign
 After lunch we went to look for a place to stay. We ended up back near the train station and decided to stay at a place called Motel Top. My guidebook was basically worthless when it came to lodging. The room was kind pricey, but really nice (we were VIP - it said so on the door). We were pretty sure that it was designed as a place to entertain mistresses. It wasn't trashy like a motel six, but there were some red lights and other things that aren't needed in a regular hotel room. It had a jacuzzi tub, a body shower, sitting area and personal karaoke machine (although there wasn't a mike).
Sitting area
Window between tub and bed
After dumping off our stuff, we went out to scope out the downtown area. We passed a fish resturant that had tanks in the windows. I would have taken more pictures, but there were people inside eating next to them and I didn't want to be rude. But I had to take a picture of these things. I'm sure I could google them and figure out what they are, but it's almost better being creeped out.

Sea creatures
We stopped in a bar with a knight outfront. It was practically empty but was a great bar - super nice seating and a decent beer selection. We each had a beer and shared some macaroni noodles (kind of like Kix cereal but not as sweet). Then we went to look for another bar when Jeff remembered he left in cell in the car. We went back to get it and he had a missed call from his boss. So I watched some TV (How I met your mother) while he "made shit happen".

Me and a knight in shining armour
Then we went back out for dinner at a place called Cheers, although this was the logo out front. We shared some popcorn while they brought out drinks (KGB for me - basically smirnoff ice). We then shared a fruit plate and sausages for dinner.

Cheers logo
Sausages - 4 kinds

Fruit plate
We were both really tired so we went back to the hotel. I took a bath (when you hit the jets, colored lights come on). They gave a complementary face mask, which I thought would be a cream or something, but was an actual cloth cut out thing to put on your face. It was very nice. Another weird/interesting thing about hotels is what they provide. They have all the essentials - toothpaste, soap, hairbrush, lotion etc. but most of that is shared stuff, i.e. they just leave a comb in the room all the time. That squigs me out a bit - I mean lice anyone? There is another packet that they give you at check-in with packaged toothbrushes, condoms, bath gel and a razor. They also leave you some drinks in the mini fridge (I took 2, but forgot the 2 from the second hotel...more about those in another post). That was the end of Saturday/Day 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment