Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Mom in Korea

Sorry I haven't been posting for the last week - it's not because I'm being lazy, but actually the opposite; we've been busy. Mom landed in Seoul on the 24th and Jeff picked her up at the airport. She stayed with him Sunday night - early Wednesday morning of the 27th. I'm not going to detail her stay with Jeff because I don't remember everything they did and because I don't want to. In brief, they went to dinner with Jeff's boss and his wife (The General and Miss Sue), they went to Osan where mom "bought a bunch of worthless crap" according to Jeff, had lunch with 2 of Jeff's employees/co-workers (one of whom's name Jeff just found out - he called him by his real first name, not by what he likes to be called), mom got a 30 minute throw away cell phone and she liked his apartment, but thinks his town is like "living in a prison" because it's all brown and gray.
Bone soup - which tastes like barf according to mom

Jeff and co-workers

Where mom bought her phone. Why did she take a picture? I don't know.
She left Jeff's early on Wednesday and took a train to Daegu then got lost because the directions I gave her were from the other side of the train station so she was backwards. Luckily some guy showed her where to go. She got a bus to Jinju from Daegu, which isn’t the shortest route, but it’s the clearest directions between train and bus stations.

I got up early too because I met Jamie and Jung wha at church to help decorate the bulletin boards outside the new church room. I didn’t really help all that much, but chatted with both of them for a few hours. Then I left to go pick up mom from the bus station. She was kind of mad at me when I finally picked her up because she had been in the station for about 20 minutes and I thought I was actually early because the train trip was 30 minutes shorter than I thought it would be. Total time was about 7 hours from Jeff’s apartment to mine. So I showed her my apartment and how to get to the close Paris baguette for coffee and left for work. She took a nap and then worked for awhile. She had a phone conference that evening and when I got home from work I was really tired. I waited for about 20 minutes for her to finish then made a sandwich and got in pajamas. She got off the phone about 20 minutes after that and asked what was for dinner. I told her she was welcome to look in my fridge or I would make her a sandwich. She ended up having rice – plain (with salt and pepper) because everything else in Korea is too spicy. That's when I knew we might have problems with eating because I am a mid-picky eater - I don't like seafood and a small variety of other things or super spicy food. But mom doesn't like anything other than black pepper spicy and Korean food is pretty spicy.

Here's the rest of what we've done in outline form. I'm still sorting and naming pictures from the weekend (we took around 600) and writing posts to review, so it might be a couple of days before I actually have everything online. I'd say I'm sorry about that, but again, I'm not. It takes longer than you migth think to put together a semi-decent post, and I don't want to just slap stuff up here. Plus, I've been working and we've been doing lots of stuff, so I haven't really had time to sit down and write. Mom is asleep right now and I am about to crash too. So don't worry, posts are coming, they'll just be slightly delayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment