Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Leggo my Lego?

Today I had a discussion with different people about the term Lego (the toy you play with that are like little building bricks). A kid wrote that his favorite toy was Lego. I asked my co-teacher, who is from England, how she would spell it in the plural - Legoes or Legos? She said that they don't pluralize Lego in England. They either say I was playing with Lego, or, I was playing with Lego bricks.

I have never used the term "Lego bricks" in actual conversation. I then had this same discussion later with 2 people from South Africa. They never played with Legos, so they weren't quite sure, but tended to think they just used Lego.

So, what do you think? We always pluralized it in our house and I honestly think anyone I ever talked to about Legos in the US also said Legos. Is this an American thing? Do we just tack "s" on the end of brand names while no other countries do? Thoughts?

2 comments: