Monday, August 8, 2011

Mexican soda, I get road rash and how I blame my brother

Sorry it's been so long. Sometimes you think it's just been a day or two and then your Wii yells at you for not checking in in a week - whoops. So, what's been going on here? Not much. Jeff was out of town, friends were out of town, more friends are on vacation now (Thailand, Bali, Laos, Jeju, home to name a few places - bitches) so I've been kinda blah as I mentioned in my last post.

I'm actually enjoying the current work schedule even though I teach extra classes everyday (8 a day instead of 3, 6 or 7). The kids are a bit calmer and everything seems to flow. Plus I'm done at 5:30 everyday which means I can walk home in the daylight. This is nice because now I can go to dinner with people and I don't sleep all day. This is bad because I can't sleep all day.

Here are some things my kids did last week:
One girl, Sharon, who is actually one of my favorites, along with her brother Daniel, for some reason decided to talk about Mexican soda. This happened because we were talking about kinds of restaurants and O'Taco is one of the newer places in Jinju and the only Mexican place. So then she drew the picture in the top right corner - Mexican soda - and gave it to me. Then they were all laughing because I said I would use her picture the next time I went to Samsung buffet and ask people where the Mexican soda was. This got her on a whole Mexican kick and she proceeded to draw the following pictures during class. Notice the 2 random chickens in the top right. It's been a week and she still uses Mexican soda in her homework somehow every night.

I included the close up of this because it was actually pretty detailed for a post-it note. A guy on a donkey with a sombrero - Mexican cider (it's like 7-up and tonic combined).
 My younger class had to invent a sport for homework and write about it and draw a picture. Only one student actually understood the idea. The others just wrote about any sport. Here are some of the pictures. try to guess what they are:



Today I decided it was a nice day, so I would ride my bike and try to find the lake park that I've been looking for (albeit not often) for the last couple of months. I talked to Jeff right before I left and he was making disparaging comments about white lightening. He also said, "I thought you had flat tires". I was unaware of this and while I found this to be true while walking my bike to the elevator, I was determined to ride anyways. Bad idea #1. I actually managed to go for about 20 minutes before taking 1 to many bumps to the nether regions (flat tires is no bueno for bumps especially when your bike is already too short and has no shocks) and turning around. While I was making my u-turn an old lady yelled at me for letting my shorts ride up. It wasn't obscene or anything - I don't own shorts that short - but come on lady give me a break. I made it all the way to the corner in front of my apartment without incident. At the corner I ran into problems. A car was zipping around the corner, a kid on a scooter was coming across the intersection and a man with a bike pulling a cart of boxes was coming down the hill. I slowed (bad idea #2 but I'm not an aggressive driver/biker/skiier etc.) and tried to thread the needle as all were stopped (bad idea #3). This led to excessive leaning, which when my tires are properly inflated, isn't a big deal, but when you're 2 inches lower to the groun, this means your foot hits the pedal and your bike tips over...in the middle of the road. In front of all the aforementioned people. And your stuff spills out of the basket and you have to pick it up as fast as your can while people are staring at you. And then you walk the bike the next 10 feet to your apartment. And your knees look like this:

 

All the red is still there a few hours later. And the flash of my camera was actually nice enough to add some color to my bright white legs, so it actually looks better in the pictures than in real life because the color contrast isn't quite so extreme. Luckily that was all - no face damage and while lots of stuff fell out of my bag, nothing was lost. Except my pride. But let's face it, when it comes to sports of any type, I don't have much of that to lose, so no biggie. Plus it's all Jeff's fault anyway.

***Quiz answers for sports: 1- swimming (not coffins as I originally thought) 2- jump rope 3- the one who invented a game - head ball. It's like soccer but you can only use your head. Well someone throws the ball at your head first, then you have to use your head.

No comments:

Post a Comment