Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Never-ending cold

So Sunday marked the start of the third consecutive month of constant colds. I got sick the day after Christmas and have stayed that way. I've been to a doctor (who told me I was fine and basically to go away) and 2 pharmacists (who actually helped more than the doctor). I haven't really felt too bad over all of it, but it's always there. I've only had 2 or 3 days when I felt "sick" and those could honestly have been because I was tired, not because of the cold.

The cycle starts with some coughing and a slightly itchy throat due to drainage. Then my nose gets stuffy and my throat continues to be dry and scratchy because I can't breathe with my nose (especially at night). Then the nose junk moves down into my chest and I fully embrace the Korean habit of spitting everywhere (although I totally don't because eww and also I can't do it because I just end up gagging or spitting on myself so extra eww).

Then I finally think it has all gone away, I stop sounding like Kathleen Turner after smoking 2 packs of cigarettes, and start to put away all the Kleenex boxes when boom - it returns. Basically the doctor told me I am dehydrated and need to drink more water and that I should also stop talking. The talking part just ain't gonna happen due to my job and the fact that I am me. I am trying with the water thing and do drink a fair amount. The only problem is that when you drink a lot of water, you have to pee a lot and I don't often have time to go. I think a lot of this issue is the cold weather. The last time I started to get better, it was warming up. Then a cold front hit, it snowed (very lightly) and I got sick again. I really hope that as soon as it warms up for reals this cold will go away for good.

Also, stupid cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment