Sunday, October 7, 2012

Summer: Part 3

At the very end of our Outer Banks trip, my grandfather passed away. He had Alzheimer's and his kids had a bunch of hard decisions to make over the course of the summer that I won't go into. His death was sad, but also an end to the horrible disease that took his dignity. Per his wishes, he wanted to be cremated and we decided to hold the memorial service at the end of the summer so that my brother would be able to attend.
In the meantime, the girls went back to school so I had a fair amount of time to myself. I went to the park, read a lot and got documents together for my return to Korea (more on that in another post). I also hung out with some friends from law school.
View of the trees in Fred Fletcher park - it looked a lot nicer in person
The girls got bored one day after school and I let them "tattoo" my feet. In case you can't see, my toes say "Ryan", just in case I forgot who I was.

For Labor day we went back up to MD for a pig pickin' at my aunt and uncle's house (aka the crab shack). While we were there, we figured out a bunch of the cousins are 4 years apart and took a picture. We also did a cousin pyramid of sorts. I also played Catan and was accused of being anti-social for doing so. It was worth it.
This picture makes me feel old because there are 24 years between me and the youngest one on there...ugh.
Kool-aid and I made grill cupcakes complete with a variety of meats and veggies

Catan players

I stayed at my aunt and uncles for another 2 weeks after Labor Day and there were soccer games, more cousins moving to NC, and my uncle and I started watching (and finished up to date) Boardwalk Empire. Towards the end of September, my brother returned from Afghanistan. I went to the base to meet him and cried at all the music and rejoining of families. His old general came to see him as well, which was sweet.
I made him stand there. See that gun? Yea, it took us longer to go home because he wasn't allowed to bring it with him in the truck.
After the pick up, we ended up driving around the base for another 2-3 hours returning equipment, getting his bags and doing paperwork. We then drove to Raleigh and stayed with some friends. On Saturday we went to the NC State v. Citadel game, which happened to be military appreciation day. It was good game (in that State crushed it) but was too windy for the parachuters to jump at halftime. They still played "Amazing Grace" on bagpipes, so I was happy.
Unfurling of the flag
I spent the next week at my brother's house, cleaning, doing laundry and catching up on lots of TV shows. I also semi-packed for Korea as I had to leave most of my clothes at his house. We then went up to DE for a "celebration of life" and memorial service for my grandfather. First, we stopped in MD to visit my mom's side of the family. We had dinner with her brother and sister and my grandmother. We also had lunch with grandma the next day and talked to her for awhile about life.
Our family plus grandma
Us with my mom's brother and sister

On the back porch at my aunt's house
On Saturday we got together at my aunt's house and put together some memory boards and chatted. On Sunday, some of the cousins took pictures at a horse farm (after playing poker at Delaware Park), then went to a celebration of life at the funeral home. We greeted some old friends of the family, but mainly it was us sitting around and telling stories.
Older cousins plus some significant others
Afterward we went back to my aunt's house and had dinner and chatted some more. We wanted to talk a family picture, but my dad and another uncle were late, so we ended up only taking a cousin picture. This is the first time we've all been together in at least 3 years, and possibly ever.


All the cousins
The cousins got together and decided to throw a surprise 21st birthday party for my cousin Bubba. Although the timing was weird because of my grandpa, it was the only time we'd all be together for awhile. Only the youngest 3 weren't there, but as they are well below drinking age (and not even in middle school yet), it was probably for the best. He was totally surprised and we had a good time. We had another attempt at a cousin pyramid. It was good, but still needs some work.
Surprise shots!


Told you it needs a little work

Massage after the pyramid

Squats - who needs a gym when you have a sister?

The next day was the memorial service. I read an excerpt as did my aunt at a mass. It was really moving and of course I started crying during the hymns. After the mass, we went to the graveyard where both of my grandmothers are buried. Pop-Pop was to be buried in between them. He was a member of the Air Force and they did a tribute including taps (cue the crying). The flag was then presented to my brother (a surprise to him) which caused some more crying.
Bouquet from the grandkids - there was a yellow rose for each of us
After the service we had lunch together as a family, including a Jagermeister shot in honor of my grandfather. It was a nice way to say good-bye, both to him, and to the majority of my family which I won't see before I leave at the end of October.
Cousins all fancy
The whole clan (minus one uncle)

Oldest girls - the big and little but not the little little

There were awesome rainbows and formations of rainbows on my flight home.

I will post some more soon, including more about my reasons for going back to Korea and some details surrounding my return. The summer is over and I couldn't have asked for a better one. I have a loving, supportive family and I can't thank them enough for being there for me and for being as awesome as they are. I love you all like brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment