Friday, December 28, 2012

Vacation

So my winter vacation was the Wednesday - Friday after Christmas. This is more than some hagwon people get, so I'm ok with it.

On Wednesday I did nothing and it was wonderful. I started the sixth season of Dexter, watched Flight and The Five-year Engagement. I skyped with my brother (very briefly) and my mom. I made spaghetti. That was about it.

On Thursday, I slept in, then went shopping for some birthday presents and cards and for some more things for my sister's Christmas present (yes I realize it's late, but I still can't figure out what to really get her). I opened a present from my mom that I had forgotten about when I got home. After that I went to Brandon and Jamie's house. They invited some people over for burritos and Catan. I met a new to Jinju but old to Korea couple who were very nice. After I got home from that, I wrote some belated Christmas and birthday cards and watched Harry Potter. Then I watched some more Dexter episodes.

Over the night it snowed. And I mean it really snowed - 7-8 inches worth. That is crazy unheard of for Jinju. Many schools, especially ones out in the country, were closed because buses couldn't get out there. Some of the schools closer in the city went half day. By mid-day the snow was cleared from the main roads, but the side streets were still covered. A lot of after school programs still had classes even though regular school was canceled - such is the life of a hagwoner.
Snow along the river late afternoon. Picture stolen from Jackie :)
I went out around 4ish and went to a coffee shop and read for awhile. Josh met me there, then we went out for dinner. After dinner we looked at a couple of different local stores to see if he could find a 3-prong adapter. We couldn't. I'm sure there are some in the city at a bigger electronic store, but we didn't feel like trying to find one. Instead, we walked to Josh's school. He has a key to the school and his office where he left an adapter. The stairs were quite scary even though what his students did all day was clear the steps! While we were inside, a janitor/night watchman of sorts stopped us on our way out. I guess he wasn't expecting anyone to be there (although there were some students watching tv). He couldn't speak English and said something to us. Josh waved his keys, said "teacher" in Korean and we just walked right by. It was one of those "only in Korea" moments. Then we walked down the stairs which was even scarier, but luckily we went slow and neither of us fell. We walked back into town the long way to avoid more stairs and went to another coffee shop where we talked for 5 more hours. Then I went home and ate some almond M&Ms. They were good.
Street outside my apartment at midnight...still covered!

Same view but with the flash - that's how foggy it was. Luckily I don't have to walk far.
My vacation wasn't as productive as I had planned, but then again most things haven't been that way lately. Still, I went outside, met some people and got some reading done, so at least I did something! Tomorrow I'm supposed to go to Busan with a group of people, but it might get canceled due to weather. I hope it doesn't because I'm excited about the reason we're going (I'll tell you in the next post...maybe).

No comments:

Post a Comment