Wednesday, December 26, 2012

We wish you a Merry Christmas

It didn't really feel like the Christmas season this year for some reason. Last year maybe I wasn't expecting any lights or decorations so every time I saw something I was excited. This time, maybe I was hoping for more decorations other than the coffee shops and churches.

On Friday, I brought my cookies to school and the kids seemed to like them, so I'm glad I tried at least. My co-worker Lucy brought all the teachers Roti buns - which I hope to write more about later because they are delicious. One of my students made me a card and a bunch gave me random candy. I stayed late because my adult class, which meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays, would be missing 3 classes (Christmas, vacation and New Year's day) and my boss asked if I would mind teaching later on Monday - I didn't.
EXL board (set up in our entryway) done up for Christmas
Inside of the card - super cute right?
Outside of the card
After that class I met Todd and his friend Jun and we walked to the church for a candle light service. It was very nice and somber - Brandon read some passages, we did some group response prayers and both sang and listened to carols. Then I stayed and talked for a bit.

After the service I went home and made this for the church party the next day. Well first I washed a sink full of dishes, then I used those dishes to make the dessert. It's very annoying to wash your dishes just to use them and put them all back in the sink! As I was cooking I was listening to Christmas carols online so it felt very Christmas-like. After cooking, I watched Lord of the Rings and went to bed.

On Christmas morning I woke up, and went to Jamie's house to meet her and Corinne to slice vegetables for sandwiches and to help make some other things for the church party. I also ate a sugar cookie that they made as one of Brandon's family traditions. Then we walked over and helped set up. There was a fairly large crowd and we had a good time eating! My dessert was good, but, as my mother would say, very rich, so you could only eat a couple of bites.
Food table - make your own sandwiches, pizza, kimbap and salad
Tilted dessert table
Top of a cheesecake
After eating we drew numbers for the gift exchange. I gave a grey scarf and gloves. My number was 9 and the present I got was a super soft fleece blanket with snowflake designs. I was happy with that, although most of the gifts this year were pretty good.
The bag mine was wrapped in - very Christmasy right?
After the gift exchange, we cleaned up a bit and Jamie and Corinne set up a "photo booth" with fake mustaches, glasses and other props. It was very cute.
IEC ladies - I've got double glasses
Elder Kang, Pastor Brandon and Deacon Jung
Hannah, Corinne and me in our formal bowties and mustaches
Then we set up the Wii on the big screen projector, but nobody really felt like playing much. We had some leftovers and made some take home sandwiches. That's when we found out that Korean people didn't really understand the process of make your own sandwich. Three different girls asked me to tell them how to properly make a sandwich. It's one of those cultural things we never think about! We helped Jamie and Brandon finish cleaning and carried stuff home with them, then I went home and opened my presents from my family while watching Die Hard on TV.
Thanks for the gifts!
I ended up staying at home, watching Elf and eating my leftover sandwich while snuggling in my bed. It's cold here! While different from last year, it was still a good Christmas. Hope all of yours were merry!

No comments:

Post a Comment