Friday, February 22, 2013

Couples Holidays

I meant to write this post around Valentine's Day, but I couldn't find the paper I had the info written on and found it today after some cleaning. So over the month of January, our school was on "camp" schedule and I had 3 private (one on one) classes. One of those was a middle school girl (she's starting what is our 9th grade in March) and one day we ended up having a discussion about holidays and she started telling me about "couple holidays". I've written before, and knew about Valentines, White and Black days, but according to her (and verified by my co-teachers), every month on the 14th is a couple holiday. So here's the schedule:

Jan 14th - Diary day. You give each other blank diaries or calendars.
Feb 14th - Valentine's Day. Girls give boys stuff, usually chocolate. Flowers aren't as popular here.
March 14th - White day. Boys give girls stuff. Basically a repeat of Valentine's.
April 14th - Black day. For the single people. You are supposed to eat black noodles (jajangmyun) which are actually really good.
May 14th - Rose day. Give each other roses.
June 14th - Kiss day. Self-explanatory.
July 14th - Silver day. You give each other something silver, like a picture frame or some other little trinket.
August 14th - Green day. I forgot what this one is, maybe wear green? Like couples outfits?
Sept 14th - Photo day. Take some pictures.
Oct 14th - wine day. Drink some wine together.
Nov 14th - Movie day. Watch a movie together.
Dec 14th - Hug day. See June.

When I asked my co-teachers about these, they said nobody really "observes" them or thinks about them other than middle school or high school girls. Which is why I thought wine day was interesting since they can't drink here until they're 19. Oh well. Have fun celebrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment