Saturday, February 23, 2013

Juk you

On Wednesday I was having a really bad day. One of my classes was being a total pain in the ass, I felt very ineffective and then I had to wait around at school for about 30 minutes for some kids to finish a vocabulary test (this is a reoccurring issue that I will talk more about eventually). I also think I'm pmsing (sorry for the over share) and have some other things going on too. Everything is ok, so don't worry, it's just one of those sad days that people have every now and again. I messaged my sister and it was nice hearing from her, then I went to Dallas's and beat him twice in Catan, so that was helpful to my mood. He was slightly hungover though because it was his school's graduation day and some of the teachers are leaving, so they had a big party with drinking and raw fish (yuck). I'm still taking credit for the wins though :)

On Thursday he got off of work early because no kids are there. Well really he just got to leave work to run errands and have lunch. So he picked me up around 12:30 and we walked to a juk (rice porridge) restaurant. We've ordered from there before (pumpkin) and it was good, but I wanted to try a different one, so we had vegetable cheese. I liked it a lot, but I think I'll try a different one next time because it wasn't super flavorful. When we were finished eating, they brought us glasses of plum tea which supposedly aids in digestion. Every food in Korea is either good for digestion or virility.
Juk on top. Underneath is kimchi, salted beef and spicy sauce
After lunch we walked for a little while to return some videos he had rented and to set up massage appointment for Saturday (belated birthday present to me). Then we hopped on a bus and went back to our schools and I started work. Thursday was a much better day than Wednesday.

On Friday, Dallas stopped by my apartment on his way to work and woke me up to drop off an envelope for me. Even though I knew he was coming, it still scared the crap out of me. After that I went to the post office to mail a letter that needed to be post marked. While I was there, I made the rookie mistake of handing them the sticker that was posted on my door the night before instead of just giving it to my boss. The two post office workers looked concerned, called headquarters or somewhere and got the cell phone number of the van driver with my package and called him. Then they tried to have a rapid fire Korean conversation with me, I stared at them blankly and then the manager looks at me and goes "5 minutes, go home" and points towards my house (which is basically across the street from the post office). So I walked home and as I was getting to my building, the mail carrier pulls up. When he got out of the van and saw me, he went "ah ha...wait" then got my package and handed it to me. It was a very Korean exchange.

My aunt and cousins sent me a birthday/Valentines/just because care package. And while I won't exactly say they are now my favorites, it can be implied (along with all the other family members who have sent me cards etc.) The box had all kinds of goodies including Girl Scout cookies, Reese's and toothpaste. I also got a seperate card from my sister that made me cry in a good way.
Care package with cards, crosswords, treats and cereal!
At that point I was late meeting Corinne, so she got coffee and then we had lunch at our favorite spot (possibly her actual favorite spot, my favorite spot with her) Dal Oasis. Another friend, Amanda showed up as we were eating and I introduced them and we all chatted for a bit. I really like Corinne and talking with her. We already have plans for lunch next week and I'm excited to see her again. Plus the day was really nice outside, which just made it even better! So lunches this week were super good times instead of the oatmeal that I have been eating almost everyday (I'm about to run out!). Tell you more about the weekend in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment