Monday, April 15, 2013

80%

I read an article (or something) that said about 80% of women in Korea have or will have some sort of plastic surgery. It's common for younger girls to get some sort of facial surgery as a high school graduation present. Double eyelid surgery is very common, as are nose jobs (to get a higher bridge) and facial shaving (to get a narrower jaw line).

I bring this up because tonight, as I was sitting at my desk grading some papers, 2 girls were doing this weird thing with their arms. I asked them what they were doing and they answered, "penguin" because you move your hands in and out and flap your arms a little like a penguin. When I asked why they were doing it, they (along with one of my co-teachers) explained that the day after they finish taking mid-term exams, they have a "body check". They have their height, weight, bust size and a few other areas measured. That part I kind of understand - we had things like that in school as well. The part that made me sad is that the results are then posted in a chart for the entire school to see. Even though most schools are separated by gender, having all of your measurements posted for your classmates to see is awful to me. They also don't test fitness in terms of exercises or flexibility or endurance - only size. So these (what to us would be 9th grade) girls (one is slender, then other is slightly chubby but in a totally normal range) were doing arm exercises to lose weight.

With humiliating practices like this, it's no wonder the rate is at 80%. Frankly I'm surprised it's not higher.


No comments:

Post a Comment