Thursday, April 11, 2013

Happy Birthday J!

Monday was basically the usual. I had dance class with Krista, then went home and got ready for a lesson I teach. The lesson was cancelled at the last minute because my student was sick, so I took a nap. I met Jayden and Dallas for a quick salad for dinner and then went back to school. Korean class that night was only 2 students because one is rehearsing for a play and the other was sick.

On Tuesday I had Bible study. I think I mentioned it before, but this book (Hebrews) is very difficult. I had planned on maybe meeting some friends down by the river, but by the time class ended, I didn't really feel like it so I went home and took another nap.
Common sight in Korea - 2 ladies holding hands in hiking clothes walking down the street.
Spring flowers near my house
Wednesday was Jayden's birthday so I took him to lunch. We went to an Italian place and ate a ton of food. We split a pizza (Gorgonzola with honey dipping sauce) and pasta carbonara. Then we got a free salad with tofu and strawberries and rolls with blueberry jam and some sort of ricotta/cottage cheese like substance. They also gave us coffee at the end. It was funny because he is Korean and here, the birthday person pays for the meal. But I was like, no, that's not how it works and you're with me so I'll pay. So he goes, ok I'll buy you lunch tomorrow. I just laughed at that point. I have enjoyed spending time with Jayden and getting to know him better and he and I have very similar personalities.

Service (free) salad and rolls
Lunch - they split our pasta in two bowls for us and put the pizza over a candle to keep in warm.
Later that night, after work, I met up with him and Dallas again and we went to dinner at a samgupsal (bbq) place. This place had a lot of sides and was really good. We split a bottle of soju and toasted to his birthday. After dinner we went to a coffee shop and had cake, and embarrassed Jayden when we sang to him.
Cheers!
Bean sprouts, kimchi, seaweed, potatoes, mushrooms, spam, pork and beef, plus bowls of soup and nu roong ji (burnt rice soup).
Then fried rice, complete with egg
Happy Birthday candles!
On Thursday Jayden and I went to lunch again. We had Korean pork soup which tastes similar to solantang but with pork instead of beef. We talked a lot about plans for the future (and my lack thereof) and things I should do in Korea - he's making me a list! He also guessed my blood type (A) because I am indecisive, especially when it comes to making decisions about restaurants. This was funny to me, but most Korean kids know their blood types from an early age because they place a lot of importance on it and your personality. He gave me advice over coffee to try and be firm when there is something that I actually want to do. He also recommended some Korean dramas to help improve my pronunciation. After coffee I went to work where we are in test-prep mode for middle school and high schoolers. This means that I don't have as many classes as usual so my boss wants me to give extra lessons to a few of the people who don't have to take school exams (mainly elementary school kids and adults). He also wants me to practice my Korean more. This is both good and bad. I feel like there is so much more I need to say, but they are all little details and I forget them! I need to try and remember to write down little tid bits while I'm thinking about them instead of hoping to write them here and then forgetting.

No comments:

Post a Comment