Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Namhae Beach Day

Last weekend was another pretty decent weekend. On Friday Dallas and I hung out for awhile and played rummy while we were waiting for our friend Eve to get in from Seoul. We met her near my apartment and she stayed at Dallas's. The next morning, Dallas and I decided the weather was nice enough to go to Namhae. So we met at 11 and caught a bus to the main city terminal in Namhae, then a second bus from there to the beach. I made pb&j sandwiches for the beach, but we were hungry so we ate one on the bus. We also split a cucumber. The second bus went all over little towns and we weren't exactly sure where to get off, but luckily we saw the sign for where we wanted to go. Dallas wore ridiculous pants but changed when we got to the beach itself. First, we stopped at a convenience store and got some oranges and snacks and sandcastle building supplies.

The beach was decent, but no Outer Banks. It was fairly small but didn't have too many people, so that was nice. We sun-screened (70 for me and 6 for Dallas) and sat on a blanket for a little while, then decided to go in the water. We swam for maybe 20 minutes the first time, then got out and walked down the beach a bit.
This is the sign for the beach - SangJu
Here's the view from where we sat. Notice the naked kid to the left. He stayed like that all day. Next time I will have to remember to bring the waterproof pouch and take pictures from the water because the view from there was nicer.
Korean poses with hats. Dallas said I look like a boy in this picture.
I think I look pissed but I don't think I was. Maybe I was because he kept taking picture of us when my hair looked insane.
Then we made a sort of castle. There was a pool left by some other kids and Dallas leveled it out and wanted to put the castle in the center of the pool. This is when I found out he'd never built a sandcastle before - I was like dude, you don't put the castle in the moat. So we build a wall basically, then, like a child, he threw sand at me. He got bored pretty quickly so I worked on it by myself for a few minutes then I told him he could knock it down. He smashed it all before I could get a picture.
Demolishing the previous kid's work.
We never played with the boat. But the starfish mold worked well.
Then we went swimming again and played around in the water. It got cold once we went farther out. We also were getting randomly stung by these tiny baby jellyfish. We walked down the beach then swam one more time before getting ready to go home. We laid out on the blanket for a little while so my butt could dry. While we were sitting there, we tried to come up with a plan to get back to the bus terminal. We asked another couple who was sitting near us if they knew where to go. They didn't because they had a car, but offered to give us a ride partly back to Geoje (where they lived). We decided not to do that because we could have potentially gotten really lost. It was nice of the to offer though. We decided to walk back to the area where the bus dropped us off to see if we could find a ticket office. On our way there, we saw another foreign couple and asked them for directions. They had no idea either because they had taken a cab from the bus terminal. We decided to share a cab with them and Dallas finally found one. They were pretty nice people and live in Busan. She's from the States and he's from Canada. They're mid-way through their second years here. They were interesting people and it's one of those times where I love being here - randomly meeting people and having no qualms about sharing a cab when you have no idea where you are.
70 & 6
It's hard to see, but a group of guys was playing what looked like kickball. After the game, two men picked up a third one and are tossing him in the water here.
Who bring tuna as a beach snack? His hands smelled most of the day.
View of the beach from the bus.
We got back to the bus terminal and got an ice cream for the bus. Dallas fell asleep quickly and I slept for a little bit too. Then we went to dinner and went back to my house to change because I was still in a bathing suit. After changing, we went down to the river where a bunch of foreigners met up to do the beer Olympics. I didn't really want to participate because I figured people would have had much more to drink then it looked like they actually drank. The group wasn't out of control or anything! I got to see a lot of people I hadn't seen in awhile and played charades (I guessed Xena Warrior Princess) and helped build a human pyramid (although I was not part of one) and spotted some people while they built another one. The two teams I helped out on won first and second place and I choose to think I had some part in that! We didn't stay too much longer because Eve wasn't feeling well and I had church the next day.
Kylie and her patriotic bottle of wine in lieu of beer.
Ryan and Ryan
Dallas's pants while they are getting ready to have a dance contest.
On Sunday I met Dallas for brunch and we got coffee on the way there. We split an orange chicken salad and usual brunch. Then we walked part of the way back towards my house and stopped off at a little grocery store. Dallas decided he wasn't going to church, so I left at that point and took a cab to church. I stayed for the discussion group, which was good for me, because they are helping me directly ask for what I need instead of generally asking for other people. After church, a huge group went to lunch together for a volunteering dinner. We went to a cold buckwheat noodle restaurant. It's actually better than it sounds. While we were eating, I helped my friend Jungwha edit a speech/paper she's writing for a model UN contest of sorts. It was actually much more difficult than I thought it'd be. Four people had written different sections, so I had to try and make it sound like one voice. Plus some of the issues I didn't know, so I had to ask her to explain them and what the other people were actually trying to say.
Cucumbers, spicy sauce and an egg. I got the version that didn't have ice water broth.
After lunch, a handful of us when to Cafe Bene to get coffee. Dallas met us there and he and Cara helped me continue to edit. Then we had to leave because we had tickets to see Superman at 6:30. Cara agreed to finish the last paragraphs. But I told Jungwha to email me the paper for a final revision because I felt bad for leaving. Luckily most of the big issues had been fixed already when I did the edit. The movie was really good although it was kind of long. The most annoying part was that a group of women came in and one of them had a kid about a year old who made noise throughout the entire movie. I was honestly surprised that nobody said anything. The theater was also really cold. Then we went to dinner and ate soup. I went home and put on sneakers and met Dallas back at Cafe Bene where we got coffees and then we started our Sunday night walk. It was a little shorter than usual because his ankle hurt and he needed to go home to call his dad for Father's Day. I really wish we had 3 day weekends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment