Sunday, August 11, 2013

"Summer Camp" - first 3 weeks

Starting on July 22nd, we started "summer intensive session" at school. What this means is that while students are on summer vacation from public school, they come earlier in the day everyday instead of a couple of times a week after school. This is both good and bad. It's good because I'm not bored at work. It's bad because I have lots of classes. It's good because I (sort of) get off earlier. It's bad because I have to go to work earlier.

The original schedule had me going to work at 9, starting classes at 9:30, with an hour (more or less depending on the day) lunch break around noon, then going home just after 6:30. This wasn't a bad idea, even though it's early. That was the schedule for the first week. Then, last week, the schedule got even weirder because high schools started regular classes at different times. So to allow for all students to be able to come to class, the high school students and my adults are coming at "regular" times - meaning from around 7:30 -10pm. So...everyday except Wednesday, I finish at 5, go home for 2-4 hours, then go back to work for 50 minutes to an hour and a half. So I'm at work from 9 until 10 with random breaks.

The day before camp, my boss called me to tell me that my co-worker Lucy "broke her butt". Lucy and I texted each other and basically what happened was that she was walking near a stream, slipped on a rock, and fell on her butt. She actually broke her sacrum. She was in the hospital for a week, now she's at home. She then had an infection in her toe and couldn't move it, but they put her on an antibiotic for that. The doctor told her it will take 6 months to totally heal the bone. Right now, she's only allowed to stand, walk short distances and lie down. She can't sit or drive or exercise. When he first called, I thought my schedule was going to be awful. Luckily, he hired a temporary teacher for camp. Her name is Ruth and she's a student at the teaching college here. She's really sweet.

Classes are going well, but I feel like I'm constantly on the go. I don't really have breaks except for lunch time. Like I said earlier, in lots of ways this is good because I don't really get bored at work. But I'm tired! Another good/bad thing about the schedule change is that because I'm going to work early, it means I can't go to my dance class. I've been going for 5 months now and I do miss going. To compensate for missing that, however, I joined a gym. Dallas was nice enough to join with me and "train" me. We get up at 6 and meet at the gym around 6:15. We work out - cardio or weight training - for about an hour then go back to my house and make breakfast and eat together. It's been really nice. The second week was the best because Dallas was on vacation, so he didn't have to leave to get ready for work and would do the dishes after cooking too! I told another friend about it one day and she said I was lucky. I know I am and I seriously will need to hire a cabana boy (which is what I have dubbed him) when I get home and win the lottery.

We've also been having lunch regularly and cooking dinners. One day I got home from work and he had already made dinner and had it waiting for me - chicken with pineapple and broccoli! We're trying to eat healthier but there have been a couple of days where I think we've cheated pretty badly. Then again, overall we've eaten much better. One bad thing, that I really need to work on, is coffee. They just opened a Starbucks next to my house - like within a 2 minute walk. There are already 4 other coffee shops that are about that close too, but Starbucks has nonfat milk. I buy coffee at least 3 times a week - that's what I need to cut down on.
We got some kimbap last week and it looked so pretty I had to take a picture.
Found this beer called "Bob's Your Uncle" at e-mart. I didn't buy any, but I took a picture because, well, Bob is my uncle.
Two Wednesdays ago I went to dinner (well I just had a beer because I ate at home first) at a new Irish pub called "Diddly Bop". The beer was ok and apparently the food is pretty good. After that we went to a norebang and sang for 2 hours as a group. It was pretty fun! Hopefully I'll have pictures sometime soon. Last Thursday, I met my friend Kylie for dinner and we went for Vietnamese - she, Dallas and I split banana rolls, pineapple fried rice and pho. Then we went for coffee and the guy basically screwed up our order, but all of us are pretty lax and just rolled with it. It was pretty funny trying to figure out whose coffee was supposed to be whose though.

Norebang snacks
Last Sunday we had a planning team meeting for church. Elder Kang had it at his house and he has one of the nicest houses I've seen. It seriously looks like a museum. I couldn't get a good picture because I didn't want to be rude or weird. They fed us dinner too - lots of dinner. First was sushi, fried chicken, mushrooms and salad. Then we had rice and special soup (which I like a lot). Last we had fruit and I ate a ton of cherries. Here's what the table looked like when we walked on - sorry it was the best I could do.
This was a facebook picture from Jamie - these are 3 kids from church - the 2 Korean girls are sisters and drew pictures of Olivia!
I know this isn't great, but there is the mushroom salads and chicken - 3 settings, one for each table section.

No comments:

Post a Comment