Monday, April 2, 2012

Cindy's birthday in Daegu

Last weekend was Cindy's birthday. She had a somewhat week long celebration. Her actual birthday was on Wednesday and her co-workers bought her a cake. Then she had a mini-party on Friday and someone else got her another one. Then another guy got her a third one on Saturday for her party. She loves cake so that was good for her!
Cindy's 3 cakes
 Dallas and I went up early Saturday morning (9:40 bus) so that I could drop off a box at her new apartment. She lives about 30 minutes outside of the city. I warned her not to get too drunk Friday night because I was coming on Saturday and she needed to be up for another night of partying. She tried, but failed. When we got to her apartment she started getting sick. But she didn't want to just ditch us, so we took a cab downtown. We had to pull over for her once and luckily the cab driver was really nice about it and actually thought it was kind of funny. He even pulled out a plastic bag and handed it to her when she got back in. We went and had lunch, but she still couldn't keep anything down so she went home right after that.

Dallas and I stayed in the downtown area and shopped. He got lots of things - shoes, a sweater, a really nice suit jacket. I got a purse (a nice one for cheap, but not fancy name brand) and more socks. We met up with a friend of his from orientation (public schools get that, I didn't) and walked around and shopped a bit more. Then we rented a motel room and dropped off our stuff. We went Cindy around 8 and went to dinner at a BBQ place. It was good, but slightly awkward because I expected lots more Jinju people to be there. A whole bunch bailed because there was a charity event in Jinju that weekend, plus others had mandatory school training.

Dallas and I left dinner early and met up with his friends again and got some drinks. It was one of their friend's birthdays too so we celebrated a bit with him.
Let's get drink y'all!

This was randomly up in the bar, so I thought I'd give a shout-out to my family and take a pic

You can write post-its and put them on the wall. Try to find ours.

We then went downstairs to a club and danced and drank for awhile. Someone (seriously, it wasn't me) turned the setting on my camera and I didn't notice until much later, so all the pictures I had all night were black or so bright you can see faces. It made me sad. We club hopped for the next couple of hours. During this time Dallas bought cotton candy and got it all over his face, I bought us 'couple' phone charms, I bought a kebab for Cindy and he ate it, I somehow cut my arm and lost my sweatshirt, Cindy switched shoes with her friend and Dallas called them adjuma (grandma) shoes, and Cindy and I traded many misspelled texts. At the end of the night we met back up with her to say good-bye, then we went home and slept.
After some editing, this was the only decent shot from her birthday of us

Couple phone charms. They lasted for a day before we took them off.

The next morning we got up and met Cindy for brunch. She was late, so while we waited for her, Dallas got his haircut. Then we walked around for a little while. We had brunch at a place called "Christos" and we split eggs Benedict, which were ok. Some of Cindy's other friends joined us towards the end, but we left so that I could go to the Hello Kitty Cafe. I've never been a huge Hello Kitty fan, but Cindy is. This place was just one of those Korean places I needed to see (even though HK is Japanese). Everything down to the toilet paper was Hello Kitty.
Outside the cafe

Back wall of the cafe
Cindy and Dallas at our table
Man's bathroom
Woman's bathroom. Some kid (who was old enough to know better) totally snaked me in line. I was mad because I really had to pee.
Pretty sure she's giving you the finger
My latte with a profile view of Hello Kitty. Dallas' was different, but I haven't stolen his pictures yet.
The back wall of another room
After Hello Kitty, we stopped for take-out kebabs for the bus ride home, then caught the bus back to Jinju. We were close to the last people on the bus and got separated. I sat next to a nun who immediately started to pray the rosary and kept on for the next 20 minutes or so. I fell asleep for a little bit, but not for long and then we were back home. I don't really remember if I did anything else, but I don't think so. Cindy is fully recovered and she had a blast, so the trip was definitely worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment