Monday, July 4, 2011

Jeff's birthday weekend

On Friday, Liezle and I tried to see the musical fountain near my house. Last year it ran every night, but I guess water is short this year, so they only run it on weekends. We were told that it ran Friday and Saturday nights from 8-9. So I met Liezle at her school and we walked to the fountain. First of all, it was hotter than any day I've been in here so far. The day itself was nice, it was 8 pm at this point and next to the river, so we thought it might be a bit cooler - nope. It was so humid that by the time we were there (not quite a mile) we were both drenched in sweat. The weird part was that we passed 2 seperate groups of Koreans doing outdoor aerobics. There were tons of people walking and bike riding too, most in full on track suits - gloves included (at least the older people). We were pissed when we got to the fountain though because there was no music, no lights and no water. I later found out that it did run on Sunday night, so maybe next week.

On Saturday I got up a little before 5 so that I could meet Liezle and Vera at 5:30 so that we could ride a bus to Seoul. They were meeting their friend Carlie (who actually has the same b-day as Jeff, just a few years later) and I was meeting Jeff because he was planning to go kite boarding. After the 4 hour bus ride (where I couldn't sleep at all), we got to Seoul and had a few pieces of gimbap. Jeff met us there and drove us all to the park where he was meeting Typhoon - his instructor/rental guy. We walked around the park for awhile, but there was no wind, so the lesson was rescheduled for Tuesday. There were 2 people trying to windsurf, but basically they were just flapping their arms back and forth to move the sail. It was dumb. Liezle and Vera left at that point to meet some other South Africans at a bar. Jeff and I decided to go back to his house.

We actually ended up driving around for about an hour because we first tried to have lunch at chicken and beer - closed and then Brazilian bbq - closed. After that we ended up going to have lunch at the golf course where Jeff sometimes plays. It's on a military base (sort of), but I guess Koreans can play there too. It was nice seeing some English, although they still didn't have diet Coke in the fountain. After lunch we drove home and I took this 4 second video of Jeff sining before he tried to break my camera. Then we played the clapping game to Billie Jean - he did pretty well but lost it during "Wanna be starting something".


When we got home it was still humid outside so we decided to go bowling. We played like 6 games (I won one), while also playing cards and itouch scrabble. They didn't have pitchers which sucks, but they still had beer, so it was all good. After bowling we walked next door and had dinner at Alaskan mining company - the restaurant on post. Jeff had gourmet mac and cheese (it had bacon in it) with a side of mac and cheese and blew the waitress's mind. I had a patty melt and mashed potatoes and a salad. Then we went home and I fell asleep for a little while while Jeff watched Road House 2 and played words. Then we watched some episodes of It's Always Sunny and fell asleep to stories.

The only picture I took all weekend. It's the "Hollywood" sign of Pyeongtaek. Or as Jeff called it, worse picture ever right before he threw my walnut cake out the window.
It rained like crazy on Sunday and neither of us really wanted to do anything. Jeff made pancakes and bacon for brunch and I did a bunch of laundry. Then he went grocery shopping and I washed dishes. Then we watched more TV, played some Catan (techinally he played and I watched), played some words, and lots of Wii - he cheats at canoeing. I don't think we really did anything else on Sunday, but it's always fun to do nothing with someone else for a change.

We got up early again on Monday morning because Jeff had a tee time (if you read his email you know the story) for like 9:30. The bus to Daejeon didn't end up leaving until 9 and then the bus from there to Jinju leaves at 11, so I got home a little after 1. I fell asleep a few times on the bus to Jinju but the lady sitting next to me kept waking me up by accident when she would fall asleep on me or hit me with her purse.

I felt kind of bad because my 30th birthday was at least a fun weekend and Jeff's was a bit lame, but I tried and I hope he had at least some fun. I won't get to see him for at least a month because I've got the next few weekends planned already and then it's beach week, so I'm still glad I went up there to hang out.

No comments:

Post a Comment