Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Another busy week

Friday I went to a church prayer meeting and ended up talking to people afterwards until almost 11pm. After that I met up with some people for another friend's birthday at a bar. I didn't stay long because he got drunk (he's slightly alerergic to alcohol so after about 3 drinks, he's a goner) and we walked him home. That was finw with me because I wasn't really in a drinking mood.

Friday also happened to be pepero day in Korea. Pepero are these little cookie sticks dipped in chocolate and/or nuts. People give them to each other. Sort of like Valentine's day, but no love connection or anything. It's totally about marketing. 11/11 looks like sticks of pepero. In class, the students asked me if I knew what pepero was. I said, "Yes, and today is pepero day so where is all my pepero? Aren't you supposed to give me lots and lots of pepero?" One little girl reached into her backpack and pulled out a box and gave it to me. I felt so bad. I told her I was joking and that she should keep it, but she said that she wanted to give it to me. So I got one box. Some of the students also walked around and gave us pieces of their cookies. It's a wonder that I don't get sick more often from the random food these kids feed me.

Saturday I slept in then met with a bunch of people and we went to a house outside Jinju for games night. It was set up through the church and an American family who attend church invited us all out there. In total there were around 20-25 people (including the couple and their 2 kids) at the house. We played "mafia" to get to know each other better (I got killed in the third round). Then a group of 8 girls played a game called "30 seconds". It's a South African game similar to "Taboo". You get a card with 5 words/people etc. on it and you have to describe them in 30 seconds to your team. You don't have word restrictions except no rhyming etc. It was fun (our team won). That night I went out afterwards with a girl named Sarah and Ilani. We just went to have coffee. Liezle and some others went to a bar, but I'm sort of staying away from that scene for awhile.

On Sunday, Liezle, Cindy, Vera and a new girl named Anna and I went to Samsung buffet. I didn't really want to go, but Vera had never been and Liezle made a reservation, so I felt bad about skipping out on it. After the buffet, Cindy and I met up with Cody and watched "In Time". It was ok. We debated the movie for about an hour afterwards talking about all the weird things in the movie and how we would have made it better. Then we had Japanese for dinner, but shared it since we had eaten so much earlier.

On Monday I met up with Liezle and we ran errands and went to a pizza place for lunch because Liezle wanted to try the salad bar. I mentioned this before, but when you get the salad bar in Korea, you get it for 2 people, but you share 1 plate. This is still strange to me. We also split a pasta dish that was really good. I feel like I did something on Monday night too, but I totally can't remember what I did. I think I went for coffee, but I could be blending last week into this week since they are very similar. Ah yes, now I remember. I talked to my mom for awhile about next year - I will write another post about that soonish.

Tuesday was my day off and I caught up on some TV and finished reading a new e-book. I also almost finished a culture guide about Korea. You read that correctly; I've been here almost 9 months and just now got around to reading about it. Whoops.

Today I met up with Caroline, Liezle and Taren for lunch. We tried to go to this cat cafe downtown, but for some reason it was closed. We know that it is usually open for lunch because friends of ours have been during that time. But we couldn't go. So we went to a coffee shop and had sandwiches instead. Mine was pretty good - ham and egg with melted cheese on top. Tonight I met up with a large group of girls at the kimbap place and we had dinner and chatted. It was an interesting mix of girls because there were some who are about to leave, a brand new girl and pretty much everywhere in between.

Thursday (tomorrow) I'm meeting my co-teacher for coffee and the repeating bowling night from last week. Friday I am having another game night, although a smaller scale one. Saturday is open right now but possibilities include going to another b-day party and/or movie. Sunday is church (with Korean Thanksgiving?) then dinner with the girls again. So, it's been nice lately because I've been very busy. Although I think I've probably spent $50 in coffee in the last 2 weeks. That crap is expensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment