Sunday, November 27, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

So Thursday we went bowling, which I think I already told you about, so that's puts us at Friday. Originally, Cindy, Liezle, me and possibly another girl, were going to go for bbq (Korean style, not NC style) and then hang out. Then people were going to bar, but none of us really wanted to go that. Then all of us sort of got colds, so it ended up with me going to prayer service and then meeting Cindy to go watch a movie. Liezle stayed home and went to bed. We watched 50/50, which is a really good movie. I knew nothing about the plot when I went in and when I asked Cindy, she said, oh it's about a guy who has cancer. So then I was expecting some huge depressing story, but they writers mixed it with enough humor that it ended up being really good. And it didn't seem like fake humor - it felt like real people.

After the movie we went home and I got online and talked to people for about 5 minutes. That seemed to be the theme of the weekend. On Saturday, I got up early (well early for me) and met the girls at the bus station and we went to Busan for laser treatments. We are all getting our armpits done. It's mega cheap here, but I'm not sure how "permanent" it is. Still, less is more in this case and I think it does help. After the treatments (which literally take less than 5 minutes) we went to the "mall" called Lotte department store. We ate lunch at the food court downstairs, then Cindy left to catch a bus to Daegu while Liezle and I looked around. I had won the $50 gift card to the mall at church the previous week and wanted to use it. My intentions were to buy something for either my mother or sister, but all the stores were super expensive (Dior, Louis, Prada etc.) and I wasn't going to spend actual money on them (at least not what I would have needed to spend to buy them anything decent). I ended up buying some body scrub at the Body Shop and getting cash for the rest. Liezle then took a bus to Geoje to visit a friend and I went back to Jinju. The bus was really crowded and I got stuck on the back row in the corner and the lady next to me occasionally used me as an armrest.

Once I got home, I ended up watch The Debt - another good movie that I recommend. Then I took a nap because I was planning on playing Catan with some of my cousins at midnight. So I woke up and none of them were awake. Jeff went shopping instead. So I ended up watching the first half of "Warrior" (it was ok, but "The Fighter" and "Never Back Down" are better), then spending 30 minutes trying to find a feed for the UGA game, then I watched the second half of the game. After the game I went back to bed for awhile.

I woke up today and went to church, then left a few minutes early to go meet Cindy and watch "Breaking Dawn". I had told her I would go see it when it came out here, and that was really the only time we could go. Apparently it's in sort of a preview mode now and it only playing on weekends. It was good-ish, and I don't want to spoil it for other people, but only a few parts annoyed me. After the movie we went back to church because today was the big foreigner Thanksgiving. IEC has held Thanksgiving the last 2 years. This year about 230 people showed up. Most are foreigners, but there are also English speaking Koreans who are welcome to join. The get some of the food from a military base and then some from Costco. It was good, but I definitely missed mom's Thanksgiving.
My plate. Yes there is a lot of food on it. Sadly, mine was no where near the fullest plate. There were potato mountains on some people's. Luckily there was enough of everything to go around.
Before dinner, the elder men's choir performed 2 songs. They were really good. They were warming up in this picture. The people in the corner are Brandon, Jamie and Olivia (their baby).
One of many tables of foreigners. I actually sat at the table behind this one. I had planned on taking a picture at each table, but that plan failed due to apple pie consumption.
After eating, Liezle, Ilani and I stayed to help clean up, along with a couple other foreigners. We got to take home some leftovers too, although it was fruit cocktail and salad, so no turkey and cranberry sandwiches for me this year. Once I got home I watched the second half of "Warrior", graded my weekend essays and played around online for awhile. I was sad that I didn't really get to talk to family for long this year, but things happen so I'll get over it. Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and if I'm not home for it next year, mail me some turnips.

No comments:

Post a Comment