Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Happy Birthday to me!

Last week I mentioned to my boss that we had the same birthday (Monday), although his lunar birthday (which is often the one that is celebrated) was on Saturday, while mine was on Sunday. Anyway, I already told you about my weekend celebrations, but not included was my concern of what to get him as a gift. Birthdays aren't always a big deal here, but I figured he's my boss and he knows I know it's his birthday, so I should get him something. My Korean friend suggested "perfume" (meaning cologne) but the foreigners were like "no way". Then Liezle suggested chocolates, which was ok, except not Feraro Roche because those apparently signify love. I decided on a roll cake from Paris Baguette and some rice cakes.
Google wished me a happy birthday
When I gave him the gift, I think he felt guilty because he said he hadn't prepared anything for me. I told him that was perfectly fine and not to worry about it. Randomly throughout the day kids came over and told me happy birthday. Then, towards the end of the day, Woods asked me to come help him with something. The something turned out to be a class singing Happy Birthday and writing messages on the board. It was very sweet.
Me with So min, Min yeung and Won he (not sure if I spelled any of their names correctly)
After that some of the younger kids would come up to me and say "Happy Birthday Ryan teacher" then when I said "thank you" run to the other kids and tell them they said "Happy birthday". It was very cute. Two girls made me cards and wanted to know what my favorite foods were so they could draw appropriate pictures.
I have boob arms

I think she captured my general stance - I often stand with my hands in my sleeves.
As I was getting ready to leave, Woods asked me where I was going to meet my friends. I told him the p-dong area (which is about 3-4 bus stops away). He got this look on his face and was like, "you have to go home first, I think something might be there." I said, "okay" and then he told me to go home. When I walked in the door, a cake, a card and a bottle of wine were waiting for me. So I messaged him "thank you" and he said, "sorry for going into your apartment, but I didn't want to leave it outside." I didn't really care, except that this is what my apartment looked like:
Unmade bed, check. Clothes (bra included) on chair, check. Suitcase (aka underwear drawer) in the middle of the room, check. Sadly, it's usually worse and was "clean" because Liezle was here this weekend.
My cake - it's cream and maybe strawberry
Wine and a washcloth
Poppers that come with birthday cakes - you pull those strings, it makes a loud pop and confetti shoots out.
After reading the card and putting the cake in the fridge, I went down the street to meet Ilani and Corrine for dinner. First we went in the glasses store and looked for new ones for Ilani (although I might get some red game day glasses since they are $20 total - including lenses and an eye exam). We went to the dak galbi place and had rice with double cheese as well. Then we went to Baskin Robbins and had ice cream with candles in it. It was very sweet of them. We chatted for a long time, then went home. I got some cards from family and friends as well and it ended up being a great day.
Blowing out candles on my ice cream
Very Korean card from Liezle
On Tuesday, one of my coworkers gave me chocolate since he didn't know it was my birthday. I told him he didn't have to get me anything, but he gave them to me anyway. Then Kyeong He came by my work and dropped off a beautiful scarf. I didn't see her come in because I was in class, but she sent a text that said, "it's not a fancy one, but full of love and respect" so how could I not like it!? I also got more cards today, so it's like I get a continued birthday and that's always fun :)
Card from Woods - yea I don't get it either

No comments:

Post a Comment