Thursday, January 24, 2013

This week in dinners...

On Monday I had dinner with Josh. Our usual day is Wednesday, but he had a life crisis (i.e. a big fight with a friend) and needed to talk about it. So we met after I finished school at the kimbap place and he basically watched me eat dinner since he was stressed. We talked for awhile, and while nothing changed in terms of how he was feeling or the status of the relationship, I know just being able to vocalize helps him work out his feelings.

On Tuesday I got a text with lots of exclamation points from Josh asking if we could meet again. That's my "late" date since I have my adult class, but I didn't mind. I actually guessed his surprise, but it was still awesome to hear him tell me about it in person. He had applied for a really cool job a few months ago, had an interview, then got a rejection letter. Apparently either the letter was sent by accident, or the other person canceled, because he was offered the job! It's awesome for him - his position and all the details (including person home security guard) are incredible. I am really excited for him. But I'm a little sad for me - the job is in Nairobi, Kenya. That's Africa for those of you who are really bad at geography. That's like 3 whole continents away. Luckily, I know that we'll be able to stay in touch through email, facebook and skype because both of us are "good" at staying in touch that way. I will miss our coffee dates something awful though. We're still not sure when he's leaving, but I'll keep you posted.

On Wednesday I met up with a whole group of girls. Corinne and I are still on "camp" schedule and get out earlier than usual and some of the other teachers are on vacation, so we decided to meet up before we're all back on "normal" schedules when it's difficult to meet during the week. So Corinne, Ilani, Leeanna (she lived under me last year), Eugene (a Korean from church - not sure if I've talk about her before, but she's super sweet) and Jungwha all met and decided to go to Dal Oasis again, since only Corinne and I had been there and we both liked it. The lady who owns the place is super sweet, and actually went to high school with Eugene! We all basically ordered the same thing, or a variety of it: a chicken wrap. I think I mentioned before that the menu had it labeled as chicken "lap", but at some point in the last week they fixed it to "wrap". I got the wrap and salad and Leeanna and I split some fries.
Chicken wrap and side salad
Our drink cups with cute fruit straws. Our water glasses were cuter and next time I will have to remember to take a picture.
It happened to be Leeanna birthday and Corinne was sweet enough to buy her a cake. It was an awesome one too. Some cakes are either cheesecakes (which are tasty, but not the dense, NY style I prefer) or super fruity. Most of the cakes taste ok, but are often texturally wrong for me. This one was delicious. The six of us stayed for close to 3 hours, just talking and comparing stories in Korean. It's really interesting and special to have Korean friends because you get a whole different outlook on some cultural things that don't always make sense. Plus these 2 girls are awesome anyway! On our walk home, Ilani got hit on by some high school boys, which was a little funny.
The cake on the right (chocolate) is the one we had. The other is from her school. The top of the cake had white chocolate pieces, truffles and cookies on it too!
Tonight (Thursday), I went to Brandon and Jamie's to do some prayer with Ilani and Elizabeth. First we had dinner - flautas (or something similar to Aunt Nan's chicken roll-ups). They were excellent. I am always impressed with Jamie's ability to cook here. After dinner we started to read Romans, and read through chapter 9 before we needed a break. Jamie made these wonder-bar brownie things with coconut that ended up getting slightly toasted in the oven - they were excellent. We decided to call it a night at that point because it was after 10 and we were getting sleepy. It was still a really great night in study, because along with reading, Brandon answered lots of questions (especially from me and Ilani!) and we had a couple of discussions related to it. These smaller prayer studies/groups are how I get the most out of reading the Bible and I'm grateful to have people who enjoy reading and participating with me and don't mind that I ask so many questions!

This weekend should be interesting (hopefully). Liezle is coming to town tomorrow (I think) and I've got a couple of other things on the burner too. So we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment