Saturday, January 19, 2013

Life in ROK - Part 1

A friend of mine sent me a facebook list about living in Korea. It is highly accurate and will share it with you in 2 parts. I'll share the list and also my personal experiences off the list.

Things that just don't seem strange anymore...

1 - Pedestrians share the sidewalk with automobiles and motorcycles...
This was almost hilarious because less than 30 minutes after reading this post, I almost got hit by a car. On the sidewalk. Not just on the curb, but halfway down a long sidewalk. This guy apparently needed to park directly in front of the hotdog restaurant. Avoiding crazy motorcycles is a daily  task. They run lights, swerve all over the place and hop on and off sidewalks whenever they feel like it.

2 - Restrooms don't have toilet paper or paper towels...
I'm pretty sure I've talked about this before. But it's kind of true. Most public bathrooms don't have toilet paper in the stalls, but rather on a huge roll near the entrance or the sinks (or not at all in some cases). You have to remember to get tp before you go into the stall, or you'll either have to go without, or stand in line again. Most girls figure this out by the second time they've had to shake (which isn't as easy for girls) and end up with emergency tp (in the form of a mini tissue pack) in their purses. When I went home for a few months, the habit of looking around for tp stayed with me for awhile.

3 - Every child you pass on the street will say 'hello' to you...
This is true. Especially if they're under 15. Then will then giggle and talk about you while you are still standing there if you respond. Some of the bolder ones will also ask your name or where you're from.

4 - Children love arm hair...
Crazy, but true. I don't have very thick or dark arm hair, but multiple students (again especially young ones) will pet it. Apparently it's more common with guys or girls with darker hair.

5 - Every city bus will have at least 2 teenage boys sitting in each others laps and playing with each others hair...
I know I've talked about the Korean familiarity and how it's "not gay". It's sometimes odd to be in such different cultural norms.

6 - People think you should board the train first before allowing people to get off...
True dat. Sometimes buses too. Usually though buses are set up so you get on in the front and off at the back.

7 - You leave the house almost every day with the hem of your pants soaking wet...
 Spring and fall aren't too bad, but summer you are always wet. Winter is hit or miss. This year my pants were usually wet because we had a lot of snow and ice.

8 - Cell phones are meant to always be turned on...
To use as mirrors, to text people in movie theaters or to watch tv on the bus.

9 - People love to know your blood type...
They have never expressly asked me, but I've heard they know your personality based on blood type. It is very common for kids to talk about it and even the little ones know their blood types.

10 - Growing a beard ages you by 20 years...
I have not experienced this, but some of my guy friends talk about how shocked kids are when they have changing facial hair.

11 - Kids and non-smokers are invincible to second-hand smoke...
Many people smoke here, but I have found that's it's really not that bad in most places. In general, you can't smoke in restaurants, coffee places have well ventilated smoking sections and it's not nearly as bad as I remember it in Europe. It's bad at bars though.

12 - Trash can fires are not just for the homeless anymore...
I haven't seen this, but I did see a guy just light a random wood pile on fire in the street when it snowed. Not sure if he was burning trash or trying to melt the snow.

13 - You are at risk of being hit by a car the second you walk out of your apartment...
 See number 1.

14 - There are more oscillating-fan-related deaths than shootings...
I'm sure I've talked about this before, but can't seem to find the post(s) I've mentioned it in, so read this instead.

15 - Other foreigners fascinate you...
Strangely true. And sometimes, especially when you go to a bigger city with more foreigners, you think there are too many of them and would rather go to a restaurant or bar that didn't have as many. Sometimes you also forget that speak English and tend to talk about them while they are standing directly next to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment