Sunday, January 20, 2013

Okpo with Corinne

On Wednesday, I had dinner with my friend Corinne at a newish place in P-dong. We ended up talking for like 4 hours and really catching up. At dinner we decided to take a trip to Geoje together on Saturday. She's been meaning to go, but things kept popping up and she was never able to.

We met at the bus stop and quickly hopped on the bus (I was almost late, but luckily made it with 2 minutes to spare!) to Geoje. The ride is a little over an hour so by the time we got off and assessed our surroundings, we decided it was lunch time. One of the reasons we chose Geoje is because their is a Mexican place there and both of us like Mexican. Corinne is a vegetarian (although she eats seafood and doesn't freak if meat touches her food) and is also trying to remove gluten from her diet and this place has corn shells. I am not either of those things, so I had a steak burrito and it was yummy!
The guac was good, but the black beans were a little sweet for me. I ate them anyway though :)
We chatted for awhile after lunch, then decided to walk around the harbor. I had done this before with Liezle, but this time we went further. To get to the path, you have to walk through some boat docks. They were lined with fish hung up to dry. One section was hilarious because it was a line an had both fish and drying laundry on it.
Sea-air dried fish. Apparently this is a delicacy.
Next, you walk along a wooden path along the shoreline. This path goes on for a little while, then dead ends into a ladder. Last time, this is where we called it quits and turned around.
The harbor looking out to the sea. I know it looks almost like sunset here, but it was around 3, so my camera just made it look like that.

Looking back into the cove. This picture was taken after the one above.
This time I climbed the steel ladder (which I didn't care for, but was able to do by looking straight ahead and seeing dirt) and then we walked for another little while until we came to a really steep section and decided that's where we should turn around. The path leads from one small city to another, but we needed to start and finish at the same city. We took a different route on the way back and ended up going down a super steep section. Luckily it was dry and not muddy or we might have had bruised butts.
Looking toward the other city from the top of the ladder
Me in the woods :)
Corinne posing on a newly built rest area pavilion.
After the hike, we went to what we thought was a coffee shop, but was really a restaurant. It was a super cute place, although you had to go outside and into a separate building to use the bathroom. I had a strawberry smoothie and it was really good. They also gave us some honey bread, which was really just phylo dough with butter on it and a side dish of dipping honey. It was still good.
The interior was super cutesy.
After snack, we did the second thing on Corinne's list - the foreign market. Apparently there are 2 of them in Geoje, but we only went to one of them. It's just a small store, but it has foods from America and India and probably some other places. I think most of it comes from Costco and somehow gets routed there too. I bought some chick peas, coconut milk (for stir fry) and oatmeal. She got some cheese, beans and some ginger candy.

I asked the check out lady where we needed to go to get a bus back to Jinju, except her to tell me the name of the bus terminal. She said to walk one store over and that was the side-street bus terminal. We walked in and the lady there wasn't super helpful, but a guy behind us in line was nice. Our timing was perfect and a bus for Jinju came after about 2 minutes. When we got on, the driver looked at our tickets, told us to get off and get on the next one. So we waited another 2 minutes and got on another bus! We talked the whole way home and both of us were tired, so we went home. I got in pjs, watched Paranorman and updated my blog. It was a great day and I'm really glad I decided to go with her!

2 comments:

  1. Hi

    We are a family living in Geoje and we have tried to find oatmeal in the stores. Have tried both Home plus and Costco in Busan, without any luck.
    Could you please tell me the name or the place of the market you bought oatmeal? Really appreciate that! Thks in advance :-)

    Pls send a mail to: olsen.ingunn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I like the newly built pavilion. Pretty!
    We're planning a family trip to Korea next year and I think we may have to go do the harbor boardwalk. (I'm a sucker for boardwalks.)

    ReplyDelete