Sunday, January 13, 2013

My week with Flat Stanley

One of my best friends from college asked if I would participate in her son's Flat Stanley project. For those of you not in the know, Flat Stanley is a book about geography for kids. Stanley gets flattened by a bulletin board and can now travel in envelopes. So the kids mail him to someone and they document what Stanley does with them for a week (pictures etc. included). He's then mailed (or emailed) back to the student and they talk about where he visited.

I've done this 2 times before - Stanley visited me in college and in DC. He got here last Monday and this was our week together:

He came to school with me everyday. He sat in on some of my classes and met some students. This class thought it was hilarious.
E4 class (all these kids are around 10 years old)
On Wednesday, we went to dinner and coffee with Josh and Jayden. It was a fun night but I had to cover his ears for most of our conversation since we talked a lot about grown-up things.
Coffee
Wall art I liked
On Thursday, we went to lunch with Kyeong Hee. He tried kimbap (which my mom wouldn't try), dduk boki and ramen noodles. I have to eat super quick now since I only have about 40 minutes for lunch. Lukcily this place is across the street from my school.
You can still see the snow out the window
All our food - we shared - very Korean
Friday we went to Brandon and Jamie's for dinner. Jamie made a chili-like soup and it was really good. Then we had prayer service at church and went back to their house to prayer extra. We have a new church member who is currently demon-possessed, so for the next 2-3 weeks, a lot of extra prayer will happen for her.

Saturday was really cold so we didn't do much (even though in my letter I said we visited Jinju castle - I had to throw in some culture!) I'm actually working my way through Oscar nominated movies and watched Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, and Silver Lining Playbook. All were very good movies so this year will be tough.
Psy socks
Today we went to church. After church we said goodbye to one of our members, Hannah. She just finished med school here and will be doing her residencey in another city (she's not sure where yet). It is very sad because I like her a lot. But I wish her all the best and hopefully she'll be able to come visit sometimes.

We went to a late lunch at Han's deli, which I like because they have a soda machine with get your own refills. I had an omrice, which is basically an omelet filled with rice. It's pretty good and this one had chicken so I liked it. After that, I went back to Brandon and Jamie's for extra prayer with the new church member. We read and prayed together then Jamie made brownies. It was a nice evening.

1 comment:

  1. Demon possessed? Now you're scaring me a little. Was that a joke?

    ReplyDelete