Sunday, June 26, 2011

Jinju weekend: no pictures edition

This week went by very fast it seemed. This month went by very fast if I'm thinking about it (can you believe it's July on Friday?). In 3 weeks, I'm going to Mudfest with a large group of Jinju people. Because I need glasses pretty much all the time now, I thought it would be a good idea to get some disposable contacts for the weekend so that my glasses wouldn't get broken. I met up with a friend of mine who speaks some Korean and we went to a glasses shop near my school. The guy there spoke very good English, checked my eyes with a machine in the back and then used numbers to determine a new perscription (is this better, is that better, can you read this etc.). I am now a -2 in both eyes. He then gave me some Acuvue 1 day lenses and threw in a case and some solution for "service" (free). I can go back and exchange the lenses if I don't like them, but I wore a set today and they seem pretty good. It took me awhile to get them in my eye because they are very flimsy. But I've been wearing them all day and I don't look like a drug addict (no red eyes) so I think they'll do. The exams are free too and he has my perscription on file so if I want different lenses, like 2 week etc., or another pair of glasses, I can go. Glasses in Korea are cheap compared to the US, so I will probably get a pair soon.

What else did I do this week? Hmm, I had to write student evaluations again which took awhile since we have around 100-110 students. It's not difficult, just time consuming. I also got some books from a friend who's previous apartment holder (I guess that's the right term - the person who lived in the apartment before he did) left a paperback library. Didn't do anything too spectacular during the week.

On Saturday I went to a talk set up at the local university where a North Korean refugee spoke to us about what she went though in North Korea (including working in a prison camp, escaping into China, being returned to North Korea and being in a prison camp, escaping again to China, being diagnosed with stomach cancer and sent to South Korea via Mongolia) and how she's doing now. We weren't allowed to take pictures or videos or anything in fear of retailation to remaining family members living in North Korea. After her speech (well her translator's speech) we watched a documentary called Seoul Train. It's about some families trying to get out of North Korea and into South Korea and focuses on China's policy of sending refugees back into North Korea. The refugee lady said that what she wanted us to do to help refugees was to continue to spread the message that it's awful etc. She said that virtually no aid sent to North Korea actually gets to the people, but is instead diverted to the army.

After the talk a small group of us went to a shabu shabu place near the university and had dinner. Then a bunch of small groups met up and we formed a large group at a bar. We stayed for awhile, but I left early because I didn't feel like staying out too late, plus it was raining a lot which always makes me tired. On Sunday I went to church then had coffee with Spencer and played Scrabble on his new ipod touch, then met Cindy for dinner. We ended up talking for close to 2 hours. Then I had a Skype date with my cousin which failed because my Skype didn't work so I called instead and we talked for over an hour and now it's Monday here.

I have plans for the next 3 weekends already, so it was nice to have a somewhat relaxing weekend this time. I will try to update more often, but I have been busy, so I'm not home as often, plus the posts tend to be longer when I actually go do something (partially due to pictures). Ok, off to read for a bit then go to sleep. Hope everyone had/has a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment