Sunday, June 12, 2011

Tricked Out

This weekend I decided not to go anywhere. I needed a break (as did my foot). On Friday I had dinner with Spencer, Cindy, Jen and Matt. We ate salangtang soup, which is basically vegetable broth with rice, beef, and some cabbage in it. But they do give you salt and pepper, which most places don't. It's pretty good and you get some dumplings as well. After dinner we went to Cold Stone and got pappingsu. It's a parfait of sorts with shaved ice on the bottom, then tradtionally, red bean paste, moshi (little rice pellet things that are squishy, sort of like a marshmallow but not as sweet), fruit, sweetended condensed milk and/or ice cream. The 5 of us spilt 3 - 2 strawberry (no red beans) and 1 green tea (yes beans). The strawberry was awesome, but the green tea was nasty. It wasn't even the red beans that made it bad, but the green tea ice cream wasn't sweet enough. The best part was that another guy named Jesse met us and tried some thinking it was mint - his face was priceless.

After dessert, we met up with Kyle, Sean and CR and went to watch Xmen, first class. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be. It was also somewhat of a pain because like a third of the movie was in non-English (German, French, Spanish) and those all got translated to Korean, not English. So while you got the plot of the movie, there were some details that got missed. After the movie we went out for a bit, but I didn't eat or drink anything because I was really tired. I went home around 2 and ended up watching a movie and not going to bed until after 4.

On Saturday I met up with Cindy and Spencer and we walked around another area of Jinju where I don't often go. Spencer was meeting some other people later, so he left us earlier and Cindy and I went to Samsung Family Buffet for dinner because she really wanted to go. We were there for 2 hours and tried a bunch of things. The best part was the salads because I don't really get a lot of salads around here unless I make them myself. Here are 2 plates of things plus some of Cindy's fondue!

Pinwheels next to the bamboo forest

Me and Spencer in the flower arbor

Sorry it's turned funny - salad with blueberry dressing, fruit salad, sweet pumpkin (acorn squash) salad, sweet corn salad and fuselli salad which tasted like hamburger helper

Strawberry slushie, bacon and lettuce salad, pineapple, smoked duck, short ribs and "reccomended food" which was some sort of potato-esque bite

Milk and white chocolate fondue fountains
I ended up just going home after and playing a quick game of Catan with Jeff then falling asleep. On Sunday I met up with a group of people (7 in total) and we went to Masan to go to a trick art display. There is a trick art museum on Jeju island, but some of the pieces are on tour and today was the last day there were in Masan before heading up to Seoul. Masan is about an hour bus ride from us and it was easy to get to the exhibit. We spent around 1-2 hours in the exhibit taking lots of pictures, but some of the people got bored quickly so I didn't stay quite as long as I'd hoped to, but oh well. Then we had lunch at a place right near the bus stop and headed home. I went grocery shopping with Kyle, then met Liezle for dinner around 6. I didn't clean my house or do laundry, both of which were on my to-do list, but I can get to them on Monday...maybe.












There are a few more pictures posted on facebook, but I thought those were the best. As I was writing this post, 2 girls rang my doorbell. It's 9:20 pm on Sunday here but I opened it anyway. Jehovah's witnesses. They are harder to get rid of here than in the US. They spoke decent English, but really don't get the point - I told them I already went to a church and they still want to come over and talk to me. I tried to tell them no in a polite way, but I don't think they followed. I guess we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment