Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Bowling League

Sorry I haven't posted in so long. Basically what had happened was I just didn't. I kept meaning too and then would get distracted by other things, like naps. Also, I tend to post pictures to facebook relatively quickly after an event, and then I forget that I also need to update here. It almost feels like I'm repeating info since most of you can see my facebook stuff. However, it will be one of my New Year's resolutions to post more often. As I've kept the last two (sending birthday cards and flossing, respectively) I feel like I can do this. The flossing thing is a repeat this year too, although Korean floss has somewhat hampered my ability to really get in there.

Anyways, I posted about a month or so ago about going bowling on Thursdays. That has continued for the last 2 months now. It's actually pretty awesome. We don't really have a league, but a group of us go every Thursday around 10-11pm and bowl 3-4 games. Mikey and I are the only 2 who have gone every week, but Liezle and Anna are becoming regulars and a few other people drop in too. I'm getting much better, but still am not good. My best so far has been a 141. My goal is to break 150. That can be another resolution (I'm racking those like pool balls tonight).

My sweet bowling style. I backhand it. It's hard for me to throw another way. I use an 11 lb pink ball every time.
I asked Gareth to take a picture of me and Liezle so that I could show people my short hair. This is what he took. He's an idiot. But I miss him.
I really miss watching Gareth bowl. He went to his knee just about every time. Or he fell over.
Sadly, Gareth left a couple of weeks ago (before Christmas) to go home. He's the one who sort of impromptu started Thursday bowling. His last weekend we went and had drinks, then dinner, then more drinks. He got all depressed that he was leaving, but it was still a fun night.
At the restaurant. It's one where you sit on the floor and this made me laugh because he looked like a giant. You can't really tell from this picture, but you get the idea.
On his last night, the lanes were full so we went to play pool instead. A bunch of people left after a few rounds, but the 4 of us (Gareth, Mikey, Liezle and I) decided to go back and see if we could bowl. This was at 12:30. I'm glad we did because not only did we have lots of fun, but Mikey got 2 turkeys and our over reaction to this was super fun for me. The guy that runs the alley is really nice and lets us stay for pretty much as long as we want to.
Darragh playing pool. There were some issues because Americans and Brits play pool differently, so at the start of each game we had to announce rules. It was still fun though.
Cindy avoiding Gareth's butt
Mikey's first turkey - all in the 10th frame
Gareth picked him up. I told you we got overly excited. This was really funny because Mikey was scared to death (not that I blame him) because Gareth isn't known for his grace. He falls down alot and knocks things over, so being picked up on a slippery bowling lane was a little risky. Especially when Gareth started twirling in a circle.
Bowling cheers
Mikey's second turkey
Gareth left really early the next morning. It's always sad when someone you actually like goes home. A handful of friends have left here and a few more are about to leave soon. New people come in to replace them, and I like some of them, but it's still really sad to see people go home, mainly because you kind of know that you really won't talk to them again.

Last, on a totally different note, here's a picture of some eye glasses at the post office. Korean post office people are really nice. They will pack your boxes for you. They also have complementary tape and markers (and apparently reading glasses). I am pretty sure this one guy there hates me (not really) because I went in like 4 times in the span of 2 weeks and it was always him who ended up helping me and I always had some sort of weird problem (like not knowing my Korean address in English, sending a post card to Switzerland and not knowing the neighborhood of someone in Seoul). He's really nice though and I always say thank you, so I don't think it really bothers him.

1 comment:

  1. Mary's turkey was in the tenth frame too. She was very excited and started dancing. Then Bret and Derek got turkeys too. I didn't but I did ok and had fun.

    ReplyDelete