Monday, January 23, 2012

Year of the Dragon

Today was Lunar (aka Chinese) New Year. It is a national holiday in Korea and everyone turns a year older today (instead of their regular birthday, although now I think the "birthday" is on Jan. 1) and visits their families. The holiday is a 3 day holiday, this year from Sunday to Tuesday. That means I got today (Monday) and tomorrow off of work. This is awesome for 2 reasons - 1- I don't have to go to work for 2 days and 2- it's still winter cram session so I don't have to get up early for 2 days either. Woot.

This weekend was both productive and non-productive. On Friday I went to prayer service. Liezle came with me because she was going skiing this weekend and we wouldn't see each other for quite some time, plus she didn't really have anything else to do. We celebrated Lance's birthday afterward with some donuts in lieu of a cake. Then we played 6 person Catan (Liezle stayed and watched for a bit, but left about halfway through because she needed to get up really early on Saturday morning) and chatted until after midnight.

On Saturday, a large group of church people (around 25) went to Samsung buffet for lunch/dinner from 2-4. Dan ate 7 plates of food. After lunch we went back to church and had games night. I ended up playing about 4 or 5 games of "30 Seconds" (a South African game similar to Taboo - I need to see if there is an American version because it's a good game). A huge group of people left around 8 or so and another group of us stayed and played 6 man Cities and Knights again. This time we had 2 brand new people and a girl who has only played twice so it took us almost 4 hours to finish the game. It was soooooo long. After I got home, I stupidly started reading "The Hunger Games" and stayed up until around 5 finishing the book. It was good - easy read, nothing too thinky.

On Sunday I got up and went to church. I tried to be intentionally late so that I would miss the singing portion because while I really enjoy it, I am not supposed to be singing too much with my voice/cold and I feel bad just standing there not singing. I got there mid-way through the first song. I ended up mouthing the words to the next 2 songs and singing quietly to the last one later in the service. After service a group of about 12 of us went to eat at a fast food type place called Mom's Touch. I thought it was a laundromat when I first saw it. After lunch we went and had coffee at this cute place called Tutto. The lady is really sweet but it's funny because she steals Jamie's baby and walks around the place with her. She gave us free food (weird rice cakes and weird rice cakes). The one kind of rice cake was like glue - it's thick and has bean powder sprinkled on it. The other kind is edible - it's puffy rice, but soft, mixed with honey I think. She explained a little to Lance how it was made and told him there is a class at university where you can learn how to do it. She gave him the rest of the box of the puffy rice things. After coffee we went back to Brandon and Jamie's and played Mafia (a card game of sorts) for a long time - until around 1.

Today, I did a load of laundry then met up with Ilani and Lance for coffee and a game of Catan at the coffee shop (Brandon and Jamie came too and played some cards and chatted with us for awhile but left before we had finished). After the game, Lance had to go and meet his wife, so Ilani and I went to Emart and went grocery shopping. I have never seen that store so empty - it was great! After shopping, I went home, did dishes (and broke a sponge thing I bought earlier at Emart - hopefully I can glue it back together, but it cost $2 so if I can't, oh well), watched a couple of shows, called my mom and talked to her for a bit, cleaned my bathroom, watched another show and wrote this post.

Tomorrow I might do another load of laundry, but if I don't, I won't feel too bad about it. Later in the afternoon, I am meeting up with a group of friends/church people to watch "Puss and Boots" - why, I don't really know. Then I am going to meet Cindy and Liezle for dinner to hear all about their weekends and catch up. Then I need to write 2 finals for Thursday. Then it's back to business for the rest of the week.

So, all in all, the year of the dragon started out nicely. Oh, and my boss gave me $50 so that was awesome. Hope the dragon brings y'all a good year!

No comments:

Post a Comment