Saturday, March 2, 2013

Mini Reunion

So this post is 2-3 weeks late, but I wanted the pictures and then have been busy. So the following post is from the weekend of February 16th if you're keeping track :) Enjoy!

Most of you know (and if you don't you clearly haven't been paying attention) that my best friends last year were Cindy and Liezle. Both left Jinju and are in Daegu and Masan respectfully. I messaged both of them and we decided to meet up in Daegu for the weekend.

On Saturday morning I met up with Dallas and he and I got the last 2 seats on the 10:30 bus. He had to sit behind me and a Korean guy slept on me the whole way there. My phone died about 15 minutes into the trip and didn't turn back on until much later in the day. Luckily his phone worked if we needed to contact anyone. It felt like the longest bus ride ever even though it was the standard 2 hours. We got off the bus and got on the subway. Dallas got hit by the gate because he tried to use his credit card instead of a token (which works in both Seoul and Busan) and then got messed up with the change machine. It was kind of funny, but also frustrating.

After riding the subway, we checked into the motel we always stay at there. Our room was decorated with shoes everywhere and this above the bed:
I don't know who Dorothy is, but girl sure does love shoes.
Then we dropped off our stuff and left to meet Cindy. Liezle was supposed to meet us too, but her bus was full, so she had to take a later one, which then got delayed. So the three of us walked around the market area looking for a good place to have lunch. In the market they have all the stalls where you sit at a counter and order. So we had soup. Cindy had sujebi and Dallas and I had kal guksu, which is hand cut noodles in soup - I think even my mom would have liked this. The lady made the noodles while we were watching. The man and woman who ran the stall also laughed (in a nice, not mocking way) at our attempted use of Korean. After lunch Dallas bought us hoddeok, which were really good (better than Jinju ones) and we got coffees and walked over to a bowling alley where we would be meeting some of Cindy's friends and Liezle.
Dallas, me and Cindy sitting at the lunch counter
The Korean lady making the noodles for our soup in front of us
My soup
Another stall with all varieties of intestines. Yum!
We waited for a bit, then one of Cindy's friends, named Sanita showed up. So we played 2 on 2 (me and Dallas versus) and we bet that the losers had to buy a drink for the other team. We won! Then Liezle, Suzette and another of Cindy's friends named Mandy showed up. So we played 3 on 4 (me, Liezle, Cindy and Suzette) and bet the losers had to buy shots for the winners. My team won again, but only because we had 4 people. I didn't feel bad about the win though because the other team came up with the bet and didn't say average, so it's their own fault. The last round was the same teams minus Cindy, who didn't want to play anymore. We lost that one, but the bet was a deep fried Oreo, so I'm kind of ok with losing.

After bowling, Liezle and Suzette had to leave to go to a birthday dinner at a fancy hotel. So the 5 of us left went to this awesome game cafe. I think they should have these everywhere. You pay a small fee and they have a menu of board games and you just pick the one you want to play. They have props and buzzers and drinks if you want them. For some reason, Dallas talked the others into playing Catan. I didn't really want to play because it's hard enough teaching 1 new person, but I would be teaching 3 1/2 (Dallas counts as the half since he knows Cities and Knights, but this was regular so I had to teach him the differences). About 40 minutes in I could tell Cindy and Mandy weren't really that into it, so I suggested changing the winning points from 10 to 7 and they jumped on it. Then I won about 4 turns later. Then Sanita needed to leave to get ready for another party, so the four of us stayed and played Uno. The winner got to bop the other people on the head with a squeaky mallet. It was fun.
Cindy bonking Dallas and Mandy on the head - check out D's perm
Then we went to a really cool bar called Houzee. The four of us ordered long islands and the waiter laughed when I ordered them because Cindy and Dallas were in the bathroom so it looked like Mandy and I were huge lushes. The bar was all white with candles and projected music videos on the wall. They also had a photo room in the back. It was fun, but the guy who took our pictures wanted to kneel and take a weird view for some reason.
See - don't know why he didn't take it straight on
The girls

Dallas did a montage - I didn't get the memo about scary faces apparently
Nerd posing
Then we went to Traveller's, which is a foreigner bar. I got my shot from Dallas which was called a horny monkey and tasted like honey and grain alcohol - it was not good. Then I proceeded to get other drinks. I also played darts and met a super cool new guy named Kyle. We bonded immediately and told each other our life stories in about an hour. At one point, while we were sitting at a table, I leaned back to laugh and slammed my head on a brick outcropping. I still have a bruise almost a week later. This party was a going away party for someone and it had a mustache theme. So Sanita found sticky backed felt and made everyone mustaches. The pictures didn't come out that great. Dallas laughed at me for like 5 minutes because he said I looked like a dude.
Me and Kyle
Mustachioed crew - Kyle, Sanita, me, Cindy, Mandy, Dallas
We all then moved to another bar called MFs and met up with Liezle. We weren't there long, but I saw a couple of other friends, Mandy and I played in a pile of balloons and Liezle proceeded to semi-hit on Dallas, which just made me laugh. At around 2:30 Dallas wanted to go home, so he got my coat while I said bye to everyone. I almost fell asleep on the ride home, which was only about 5 minutes, then we both passed out. One problem was that our room was extremely hot. The bed has a heater on it and we couldn't find the off switch. A few hours later I woke up to get some water and I turned on the fan. Then Dallas found the off switch and we fell back asleep.
Playing in the balloons! I can't fix the weird red eye, but we didn't have glow in the dark eyes.
The next morning we met Cindy and Torin for brunch and just went back to Traveler's since the other good place doesn't open until 2 and one other place is closed. Liezle and Suzette met us there and then we all went and got coffee. After coffee we went to watch Hansel and Gretel, Witch Hunters. We had about an hour wait, so Liezle went to buy some shoes and Cindy, Torin, Dallas and I went to the arcade. The three of them played air hockey, Torin and I played my favorite drum game and Dallas made me play Terminator with him. I did better than I thought I would, but still sucked. Then we watched the movie which was super cheesy, but I thought it was ok.
Torin and I banging the drums. This little girl stood behind us so she could play next and threw off my whole game.
Liezle and Suzette had to leave at that point and meet up with a friend, then go back home. The rest of us went shopping for a bit and Torin bought a jacket and Dallas bought some underwear. The girls didn't buy anything. Then Dallas and I caught a bus home. We got to sit next to each other this time and I fell asleep for at least half of the bus ride. Then we had dinner at the solangtang place and went to Emart. It was a great weekend. I didn't do exactly what I had planned on doing, but I got to see all of my favorite people in Korea, nobody got seriously injured or sick and we all had fun. We're going to do it again in about a month for Cindy's birthday and I'm looking forward to it already!

No comments:

Post a Comment