Monday, April 18, 2011

Daegu 2: Electric Boogaloo

We hopped in a cab to go downtown. On the way, one of the girls asked how old Rob was. Spencer said, "I think 24 but he looks 30". I said, "Hey now, watch yourself" and then he argued with me for about 5 minutes that I wasn't 31. I ended up handing him my license for him to believe me. Being fat has few advantages - this is one of them. We planned on meeting the rest of the Jinju crew at a resturant near the downtown area (totally in a different place than Jeff and I went - we were in a different section of town, near the other bus terminal), but when we got there, the tables were all full and none of us really wanted Indian food.
Downtown Daegu with Ally, Cindy and Marzia
So we walked around for awhile and came upon my new favorite place, Viniroo. It's a window (and a very small inside) where you can walk up and order drinks on the street (like in New Orleans). The best part is that they come in Capri Sun-like pouches. This is good for 3 reasons: no roofies, excellent dancing abilites with no spillage, it requires dudes to drink from a straw.

Sign above the door. Why a monkey? I have no idea.
Window from the street. The curtain makes it classy.
Spencer drinking a "Playboy" which was basically 151 with a few others thrown it and tasted like bleh
The guys got drinks (I held out until later, because while I am strong to alcohol, I hadn't eaten in awhile and didn't want to pass out early - I had to keep up with the youngsters) and 7 of us went to dinner at Italy Italy where we had, wait for it...Italian food. I didn't take a picture of it since it was pasta and looked the same. Cindy and I shared chicken alfredo with spinach and mushrooms. Then Liezle, Cindy and I went to meet her friends from training at a bar called Go Go Party. It was Go Go Gadget a nice place. They have beer pong, pool, darts, a dance floor and pouch drinks yay!
Sign outside above some steep stairs. I didn't fall - yay!
Sign above the DJ - yay pouch drinks!
We left after about 30 minutes to meet the rest of the Jinju crew at a bar called Who's Bob? It would have been a decent place to start out because they also have beer pong and pool, but because I had already been dancing and drinking out of pouches, I wasn't really into it. They did have cool wall designs.
Wall in Who's Bob's - the outside sign didn't come out, boo
So a group of 6 of left and went back to Go Go Party. The rest of the Jinju people came there too, but in waves. It was really fun. We danced for a long time. The weirdest part was when some guy started dancing behind me and Liezle shouts, "he looks ok", so I started laughing. Then, about 5 minutes later, he bit me on the shoulder and that ended dancing guy. It was around 2 by this time and a big group was leaving to go back to hotels. 
Agatha, Emily, Jess, Kyle and Me at GoGo Party (with Tom creeping in the back)

Me and Jesse (boy can dance, although he danced with his jacket at one point)

Me and bday boy Rob
 
Spencer and Jung wha
A smaller group of 8 went to a 3rd bar called MK (or Monkey) club. This club was packed. The thing that sucked was that it was super smokey, partly because people were smoking at the sides (not allowed on the dance floor) and partly because they pumped "fog" in. The DJ was DJ Henry which made me laugh. Sadly they did not have pouch drinks. We stayed there for another hour or so and decided to leave.
Some people had already left so it ended up being me, Cindy, a girl named Marzia (new girl, will detail later maybe), a guy named Tom (goes to my church, again maybe later with details) and a guy named Jesse (really nice, also a church guy). When we walked out, Jesse wouldn't let us get in a cab because he said it was only 2 blocks away. He was wrong. Cindy tried to get in a cab at one point and he pulled her back out. Then he picked her up and tried to carry her, but she had on a really short skirt and made him put her down. Then she ran and got a cab and he jumped in with her. At that point, Tom went to a fast food place and ordered food and I didn't want to leave him because he was quite intoxicated (I wasn't). Oh, and I had given Liezle my sweatshirt earlier because she was freezing so I was outside in a tshirt (and it was cold). So Marzia, Tom and I walked another 15 minutes under a bridge and through a slightly stetch area around the subway station to the hotel. When I walked into my room, everyone had beaten me back (even peoplw who left the club after me), and it was 4. Then, 3 of the guys in the room down the hall came into our room (shirtless) wanting to talk with us. Liezle was asleep on the couch and Jung wha was in the shower so I had to usher them out. It was annoying and amusing at the same time. Cindy and I shared the bed, which was heated and we couldn't figure out how to turn it off, so we were hot the entire night.

Spencer hugging a scared Jesse
We got up around 9:30 because a group wanted to get back to Jinju in time for church. I had originally given up on getting there, but when a whole group said they were going, I decided I would go too. Unfortunetly I hadn't packed for it, so I ended up in smokey jeans masked by Britney Spears perfume - not very church-like. We hopped on the subway, went to the bus station and got tickets for a bus leaving in 40 minutes. Then we went to a place called Lotteria, which is similar to any fast food place in the States. We got take out and ran back to the bus just in time. It felt like a field trip because everyone sat together and was talking about what we did etc. It was fun.

Only 3 of us ended up in church even though 3 other church goers rode the bus home with us. I'm glad I went though because after the service, Jamie (the pastor's wife) asked me to be on a bulletin board decorating committee for the new IEC (English Church) room downstairs. I said yes, then had to wait for about 30 minutes for people to leave so we could go look at the room. One of the church members (Korean guy who is a dentist) told me that he liked to talk to me because my accent and voice were nice to listen to and easy to understand. I told him that my kids make fun of me because I drop my t's in words like mountain, say "yea" funny and use y'all. Then we went and looked at the space and came up with decorating ideas. After that, I went to lunch with Brandon, Jamie, Jung wha and a guy named Lance. We went to a place called Vallance burger. We stayed for awhile and by the time I got home it was almost 6. So I was tired. But I forged on and labeled, edited and posted photos! So that's the end of my weekend. It was a lot of fun and I hope we do something like it again, but I can probably only handle it once a month, because while my face might look 25, my liver is definitly 31.

No comments:

Post a Comment