Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 4: Real Korean Food

The best part about the last 2 days has been the feeling that I can do this. The first day was scary – I didn’t understand anything, didn’t know what my apartment was going to be like, didn’t know how I was going to survive. Now I know how to go to and from work and the store and really, that’s all I need. I will try to do new things too – I’m going to try and meet up with Jeff this weekend, so it will be using the bus system on my own. But now I know there is someone to help me set up a bank account, get me to the health check and alien registration and there are people to answer some of my questions. It’s a big relief. Now I can enjoy my time here and maybe learn something.
Today I went to the grocery store again. I like looking around to see what they have. There are things I recognize – yogurt, Frosted Flakes, pasta sauce, and things I don’t – weird dried fish. I bought some milk today and it will be trial and error to figure out what bottle/carton skim comes in (if they have skim at all). The grocery store apparently has a website: www.gsretail.com I haven’t gone there since my internet is sketchy at the moment and I’d rather email some people first.
I know all this info is coming at your fast and seems really detailed, but most of it is actually for me to remember too! I probably won’t update quite so frequently with boring details of what I got at the grocery store, but this is the first time I’ve been able to upload any of this, so you get it all at once.
Tonight I had my first real Korean food. I went out to dinner with Claire and 2 other English teachers from other schools: Diego and Grace. We had Korean bbq. I didn’t even think about this before I left, but Koreans use chopsticks and I am chopstick handicapped. But I managed. I didn’t have my camera, but I am sure I will go again and I will take pictures next time. It was really good. I also had my first soju – it kind of tastes like cheap vodka. After dinner we had ho duk, which is sort of like a funnel cake, but in a pancake shape with a filling. It was really good. I will try to get a video of it because they make it in front of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment