Thursday, February 10, 2011

Korean Walmart

I don't want this to end up like a crappy Twitter account where I tell you that I took a shower everyday and that I ate rice for dinner etc. So there might be some days when I don't update because nothing new/interesting happened. Today was almost one of those days, and the only reason it wasn't is because this is still my first week here!

It snowed today and was wet and cold (duh) so I didn't walk around before school. After school I went with Claire to E-mart. It's sort of like Walmart. There are 3 floors with conveyor belt-like escalators to each floor so you can take your cart with you. There is a "forgein" section and it has Swiss Miss, but I didn't really look to see what else they had. I bought a new bedspread. Something interesting - they don't have sheets here. Instead, you have a duvet and duvet cover (which you wash) and what they call a mattress cover (fitted sheet). So they don't sell top sheets.

They also charge for bags here. Apparently all stores do, but I've been to the grocery store at least twice and they haven't charged me - or maybe they didn't and I didn't know and just took a bag. Whoops.

The other interesting (sort of) part was that I rode the city bus to get to E-mart and a cab home. It's the first time I've done either here. Apparently you can get a bus pass at the local GS25 (conveience store). It's like a key chain and is reloadable.

2 comments:

  1. I thought you didn't get off work until 9:30-10:00 at night. Did you go shopping then? Is it open all night?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correct - I get off of work on Thursdays at 9:45. The store closes at 11pm, so it was a quick trip. It's only about a 5 minute bus ride from work.

    ReplyDelete