Friday, February 25, 2011

Farmers market and Korean Chinese food

Today I decided I would go to the farmer's market. I left myself enough time to walk through the street and to try and find the post office before school. The farmer's market is down the length of one street - maybe 2-3 blocks long. I didn't take any pictures today, but I might some other time. I didn't take any because I sort of stick out and it felt a little bit mean to stop and take pics of weird things I saw - like dried octopus and mini dried fish and lots and lots of fresh sea creatures.

Which brings me to my next point - it might be awhile before I hit up the market because 3/4s of it smells like fish. The worst "fishy" smelling thing was the bunches of dried seaweed. They did have a large selection of mushrooms that looked good though. The other part that might be hard about buying things at the market is lack of cash register. In most stores, I can look to see how much stuff costs, but in the market it would end up being lots of fingers being held up. Also, lots of sellers are old people and they get more confused than young people when it comes to trying to communicate. On my way to the market a mom and her son got off the bus in front of me. Now, most people who know me know that I love baby jeans. Jeans and overalls on little kids cracks me up. This little boy didn't just have jeans - kid had skinny jeans. And no, they weren't too small - they fit him. See:
Skinny jeans
After walking through the market, I walked around trying to find the post office. Good news, I found it. Bad news, I still didn't find post cards. I will try to find some type of envelope/card etc. this weekend and attempt the post office again. On my walk back to work I saw my first real Jinju graffiti and it made me think of Jeff (for those of you who don't hang out with him, he says this a lot).

Was Jeff in Jinju? Has he started a gang?
 After work Claire and I went and had Chinese food. Yes, Chinese food made by Koreans. I forgot to take a picture, but it actually looks like Chinese food we get at home. We had sweet and sour pork (good - had sliced cucumbers, mushrooms and pineapple pieces), soup (ok - clear broth with scallions and egg bits, like egg drop and wonton combined) and fried rice (good - it's like our fried rice before they actually fry it. So it has the veggies and the cooked egg, but it's just cooked rice, not fried. Plus the serve this weird brown mushroom gravy on the side. It was ok, but not needed). They also gave us pickeled radish slices and tea. No fortune cookie.

The plan for the weekend is to do some laundry. I know how to turn the washer on, but I don't know how to start it. So we'll see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. They serve dried squid at movies and baseball games so you hear everyone chewing real loudly around you.

    ReplyDelete