Saturday, March 5, 2011

Church

I went to church today. I decided I should go in part because I wanted to check it out and in part because I sort of felt obligated after going to the Korean class and then the tour. The minister didn't put any pressure on me, or I probably wouldn't have gone, but the Korean minister of the Korean part of the church asked if I would be there and said it was part of his job to ask people to go. So I went. They gave me a t-shirt when I got there.
I sat next to an American lady named Sally whose husband is German - they went on the tour yesterday too. She was very nice and introduced me to a Korean lady (who spoke very good English) but whose name I forget. The service was spilt into 2 parts - the first part was called "worship" and we sang like 4-5 songs and had silent reflection time. The songs were projected onto 2 screens and it was almost like karoke - there was a drummer, keyboard player, someone with some elctronic thing, a guitar player/singer and 2 background singers with mikes (all Korean, speaking English). Some people got really into it and raise their arms etc.

Then they had the study portion of the service where the pastor (Brandon) spoke. Today's lesson was about giving money to the church, and then we sang again. I left soon after instead of staying for a long time at the meet and greet type place. There weren't a whole lot of American/English people, but there were a bunch of Koreans who were learning, or who speak, English. One lady (the one whose name I can't remember) actually drove me home because it was on her way. She's a housewife who teaches English to students at home. She was very nice. Also, is it wrong to make up a fake appointment so that you don't have to go to Bible study? If so, then whoops. I will probably go to the service again. The singing was nice and I really like Brandon and Jamie, but I think Bible study is too much for me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment