Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tuesdays with Claire

Like Tuesdays with Morrie, except she isn't old, and we go to dinner instead of exchanging sage advice. Claire gets off of work earlier than I do on Mondays and Wednesday because of when are breaks are scheduled (basically her "break" is the last class, so she leaves 45 minutes early). So if I really want to go to dinner with her, we go on Tuesdays or Thursdays. The only problem is that we don't get off until almost 10 and lots of places are closed already, especially the ones near us.

There is a place across the street that's open 24 hours, so that's where we went. I'm not really sure what it's called. It is the first place I've been where you have to take off your shoes. Many places are "Western" and have regular tables. Some have a pick which side you want option. This place was all shoeless. You sit on mats on the floor at a low table. This is not good for me as I am not graceful (the getting up was a lot less pretty). The menu doesn't have pictures, but there are 4 pictures on the wall. The waiter came up to us and pointed at the menu and said, "You speak Korean" and we said no. So he pointed at the pictures on the wall and said 1,2,3,4? Claire picked 4 and said beef.

So we got this soup with lots of cabbage, some sliced potatoes, onions and beef short ribs in it. It was ok, but it wasn't my favorite. The people next to us had this noodle bowl thing which looked much better. I think Claire meant to get that, but it's hard to tell the difference with the pictures since everything is in a big bowl. I would have taken pictures, but my camera battery had died earlier today and was charging. I will probably go there again, so I will take photos. Oh, also the waiters don't wear shoes either. Some wore slippers, but mainly just socks. And not regular socks - orange fuzzy ones, ones with cats, and my favorite - Batman socks. I fit right in with my bright blue ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment