Thursday, March 3, 2011

Potty Time

There are 2 styles of toilet here. One style is what we have basically everywhere in the US - or American/English style toilets. The other style is Korean/Oriental style. It's basically a horizontal urinal on the floor. I was introduced to this style in a bar one of my first nights. I asked where the bathroom was (upstairs) and was given a warning by Claire that it was Korean style. I was also given a warning by 2 guys (whom I'd met maybe 30 minutes prior) that it was a "squat" toilet. So you know, good looking out. It's really not that bad. And for those squaters out there already, you might actually perfer them. It's easier to move your pants out of the way than when you're camping or otherwise peeing outside, and there is always a wall to grasp. The funniest part to me is that at some locations (train stations, some resturants) you have an option. The Dongdaegu train station has a wall of Korean style and a wall of English style - it says on the door. I have yet to take a picture of a toilet, but if I find one that's really interesting, I will.

2 comments:

  1. I have a really good picture somewhere. It's a cartoon strip of some sort of human animal mixture that has to go a little bit in the first block and then gradually has to go much more. By the end it is sweating and crossing it's legs and has to go real bad.
    Also have you seen the one from MooGo bank yet? It is in the subway cars on the orange line and features a turnip with it's back to us the viewer. The top of the turnip is turned around to look at you but his butt is facing you an he is swiping his credit card up his crack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I don't get it. Why would you choose to squat rather than sitting comfortably on a toilet? My legs start to shake and I usually almost fall into my pee when I squat. So, well, I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete