Sunday, March 13, 2011

Earthquake

Some people have emailed/facebooked etc. to see if the eartquake or tsunami that hit Japan hit over here. I just wanted to let everyone know that Korea is fine - I don't even think the coast got effected. Japan basically blocked us from any water damage. It's very sad and I've seen all kinds of reports and am not sure how I feel about them.

There are people saying that we shouldn't be spending money or donating aid to Japan when we owe so much money to other countries. They're saying, China isn't helping out, why should we? On one hand I understand that - we're giving away money we don't have and not focusing on our own poverty etc. On the other hand, isn't that part of what makes us a great country? That we step in, even when others don't? True, there are times where I think we should just butt out, but Japan will rebuild, and they will remember and I believe it will come back to us in a good way.

There are also people who say Japan deserves this and that God is punishing them. I've seen those sentiments from the US (as payback for Pearl Harbor) and from Korea (as payback for various wars etc.). I'm pretty sure the atomic bombs we dropped was pay back, maybe not enough since it was an ambush and so many innocent people were killed etc. But I honestly don't think God was punishing the Japanese and it's sad that people even go there. This isn't a political blog or anything, so I don't want to start huge debates about it, that's just my feeling. It's just sad to me that there is so much hate everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment